Films and television
After an unsuccessful career as a rock musician, Waitt began to write and direct short films. He co-wrote, directed and performed in the Bafta winning short film Dupe, a comedy about a slacker who buys a cloning machine on eBay.
He also made a number of short documentaries, including the Bafta nominated Heavy Metal Jr., a humorous look at a group of ten-year-olds who form a death metal band called Hatred. The film was included on the Wolphin DVD collection.
Waitt also directed, co-wrote and co-created the MTV adult puppet show Fur TV, with his long term collaborator, writer and producer Henry Trotter.
In 2008, Waitt completed his first feature film, the confessional and humorous documentary A Complete History of My Sexual Failures. The film was made through Warp films and Film4 and had its world premiere at the Sundance film festival in 2008, where it was also nominated for the Grand Jury Prize. In 2009, the rights for A Complete History of My Sexual Failures were purchased by Universal Studios. The Hollywood remake will be directed by Jay Roach (Meet the Fockers, Austin Powers). Waitt is an Executive Producer on the film.
Waitt is currently developing a second film with Film4 and Babycow productions, provisionally entitled Untitled Chris Waitt Vanity Project no. 2.
On Sunday 8 July 2012, Waitt's latest work was debuted on Sky F1 ahead of the 2012 British Grand Prix, McLaren Animation's first release, Tooned, is written and directed by Waitt and Henry Trotter.
Waitt is the singer and guitarist in the experimental indie electro art metal band Warm Puppies. The band have produced much of the music for Waitt's films. As a solo artist or with the Puppies, Chris has performed at a number of English music festivals, notably Reading, Latitude and Gold. Waitt also dee-jays under the name Bad DJ.
Whilst making A Complete History of My Sexual Failures, he met Russian photographer Alexandra Boyarskaya. The couple married and lived together in East London. On 14 November 2012 Waitt made a public announcement on his Facebook that Alexandra Boyarskaya had left him.
On his Facebook on 9 July 2013, Waitt made a public announcement that he was in a relationship with Natalie Ann Holt. Holt would later burst onto stage during an episode of Britain's Got Talent and egg judge Simon Cowell.
While appearing as a mystery guest on The Big Fat Quiz of the Year#2013, Holt revealed that she had recently become engaged to her boyfriend. While she did not specify that this was Waitt, Waitt's Facebook still implies that they remain in a relationship.
- "Wolphin, Vol. 4" http://www.wholphindvd.com/issues/wholphin-no-4/
- Phillips, Emily. "Jay Roach Discovers His Sexual Failures", Empire, 10 March 2009. Retrieved on 2010-10-14.
- Siegel, Tatiana "Universal to remake 'Sexual Failures'", Variety, , 8 July 2010. Accessed on 2010-10-14.
- "A succession of Baby Cow film projects is also underway. The company has struck a deal with Film 4 to work with Chris Waitt on his second movie, filmed in Russia and England." - Burrell, Ian. "Funny business: Henry Normal explains why his new project is no joke" The Independent, London, 8 July 2010. Accessed on 2010-10-14.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-15. Retrieved 2010-10-14.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-11-24. Retrieved 2010-10-14.