Chris Walas (born 1955) is an American special effects/make-up artist and film director.
His main body of work is with special effects in a wide variety of movies from science fiction to action-adventure. His work on The Fly led to his directorial debut on The Fly II. He also won an Academy Award for Special Effects Make-up on The Fly and is well known for his creation of the Gremlins. Walas was also partially responsible for creating the famous sequence in Raiders of the Lost Ark when the Nazis melt from the intense heat created by the Ark of the Covenant. Walas created false heads for Ronald Lacey, Wolf Kahler, and Paul Freeman.
- 1981: Rick Baker
- 1982: Sarah Monzani and Michèle Burke
- 1983: None given this year
- 1984: Paul LeBlanc and Dick Smith
- 1985: Michael Westmore and Zoltan Elek
- 1986: Chris Walas and Stephan Dupuis
- 1987: Rick Baker
- 1988: Ve Neill, Steve La Porte, and Robert Short
- 1989: Manlio Rocchetti, Lynn Barber, and Kevin Haney
- 1990: Doug Drexler and John Caglione, Jr.
- 1991: Jeff Dawn and Stan Winston
- 1992: Michèle Burke, Greg Cannom, and Matthew W. Mungle
- 1993: Greg Cannom, Ve Neill, and Yolanda Toussieng
- 1994: Rick Baker, Ve Neill, and Yolanda Toussieng
- 1995: Lois Burwell, Peter Frampton, and Paul Pattison
- 1996: Rick Baker and David LeRoy Anderson
- 1997: Rick Baker and David LeRoy Anderson
- 1998: Jenny Shircore
- 1999: Christine Blundell and Trefor Proud
- 2000: Rick Baker and Gail Ryan
- Academy Award for Best Makeup before 2012