He grew up in Moorooka, a suburb of Brisbane. His father was a banker. He attended Brisbane State High School. He attended the University of Queensland on state and commonwealth scholarships, and he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Geology.
He worked as a geologist for the Department of Mines and Energy of the Government of Queensland. After he quit his government job, he made his fortune by investing in coal. His company, created in 1989, is called QCoal. He digs coal from the Bowen Basin, including the Sonoma Coal mine. He formerly sold coal to Macarthur Coal and Cleveland-Cliffs. He now sells to JFE Holdings.
- http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/78/australia-billionaires-11_Chris-Wallin_U9FP.html Forbes 2011 list]
- Forbes 2012 list
- 15. Christopher Wallin, Brisbane Times, December 17, 2012
- Queensland's richest 100, The Courier-Mail, August 31, 2008
- The Old Alma Mater, BRW, May 25, 2011
- Tony Grant-Taylor, Geologist strikes the big time , Courier-Mail, April 26, 2007
- QCoal Archived January 22, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
|This Australian business biography is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|