This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
August 9, 1945 |
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
|Sports commentary career|
Chris Wheeler (born August 9, 1945 in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey) is a former announcer and color commentator for the Philadelphia Phillies in Major League Baseball. He is nicknamed "Wheels".
Wheeler attended Marple Newtown High School in Pennsylvania and received a B.A. in journalism from Penn State University in 1967. Following graduation, he began his broadcasting career with WCAU radio in Philadelphia, where he was an airborne traffic reporter as well as a news writer and reporter. He later worked at WBBM in Chicago and CBS Radio in New York.
Wheeler joined the Phillies as assistant director of publicity and public relations in 1971 and began broadcasting in 1977. In 1982, he also was made director of the Phillies' community relations department. He was the camp coordinator for Phillies Dream Week from 1983 to 1999 and ran the team's speakers bureau from 1991 to 1997. He was released as a Phillies broadcaster on January 8, 2014.
- Wheeler's bio on Phillies.com Retrieved 2010-08-06
- Phillies postgame interview with Ryan Howard Retrieved 2011-09-12
- on YouTube Retrieved 2011-09-12
- Medina, Regina (July 28, 2015). "Chillin' Wit' Chris Wheeler, Former Phillies Broadcaster". Philly.com. Retrieved October 5, 2016.
- Zolecki, Todd (January 8, 2014). "Post-Comcast Deal, Changes for Phils' Booth". MLB.com. Retrieved October 5, 2016.
- Smith, Brian (January 22, 2016). "Chris Wheeler Misses the Dream He Lived". Times Leader. Retrieved October 5, 2016.
- http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20140108_ap_cc1da3425c724e91a45bc1bc901a3bd7.html Archived January 8, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to television in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|