Chris Wright (basketball, born 1989)
Chris Wright of Georgetown guards against American University in 2007
|No. 2 – Auxilium CUS Torino|
|League||Lega Basket Serie A|
November 4, 1989 |
|Listed height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Listed weight||200 lb (91 kg)|
|High school||St. John's College
(Washington, D. C.)
|NBA draft||2011 / Undrafted|
|2013||Capitanes de Arecibo|
|2015||Victoria Libertas Pesaro|
|2016–present||Auxilium CUS Torino|
|Career highlights and awards|
Chris Wright (born November 4, 1989) is an American professional basketball player for Auxilium CUS Torino of the Lega Basket Serie A. When he played for the Dallas Mavericks in 2013, he became the first known player in National Basketball Association (NBA) history to have been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.
High school career
Wright played for St. John's College High School and he was the first three-time Washington Post All-Met selection since Adrian Dantley starred at DeMatha Catholic High School from 1971–73.
He scored 2,580 career points for St. John's, leaving as the all-time leader in points. Wright averaged 30.5 points, 4.9 rebounds and 4.3 assists in 2006–07. He topped the 30-point mark 19 times and led the Cadets (24-9) to the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference title game where St. John's fell to Dematha.
Wright was a McDonald's All-American, won the three-point shooting contest at the McDonald's All-American Classic, played in the Jordan Brand Classic in New York, was named the Gatorade Washington, D.C. Player of the Year as a senior, and he averaged over 22 points in both his sophomore and junior seasons. Considered a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, Wright was listed as the No. 8 point guard and the No. 55 player in the nation in 2007.
On September 27, 2007, it was announced that Wright had broken his ankle during a pick up game, and that he would miss the "early part of the season". Despite this, he was able to play the first eleven games of the 2007–08 season, where he averaged 6.2 points a game. Wright reinjured his ankle in December 2007, and missed the next eighteen games. On March 13, 2008 Wright made his first appearance since the injury, playing in the second round of the Big East Tournament against Villanova University, scoring six points.
On February 23, 2011, Chris Wright injured the third metacarpal bone in his left (non-shooting) hand and had surgery the following morning, forcing him to miss the final three regular season games of his senior career but leaving him eligible to return for the NCAA tournament.
In his senior season, Chris Wright was among the top 20 Big East players in points per game, free throw percentage, 3-point percentage, steals per game, assists per turnover, and assists per game. Wright's single-game career highs at Georgetown University are 34 points (12/23/09, v. Harvard), 12 assists (12/12/10, v. Appalachian St & 11/18 v. Coastal Carolina), and 7 rebounds (12/20/08, v. Mt. St. Mary's).
On March 13, 2013, Wright signed a 10-day contract with the Dallas Mavericks. Wright became the first known NBA player with multiple sclerosis. He played three games for Dallas before his contract expired. He then returned to the Iowa Energy. In April 2013, he signed with the Capitanes de Arecibo in Puerto Rico.
On October 31, 2014, Wright was reacquired by the Iowa Energy. However, he was later waived by the Energy on November 14, 2014. Five days later, he was acquired by the Bakersfield Jam. On December 29, 2014, he was waived by the Jam after appearing in 14 games. On January 7, 2015, he signed with Victoria Libertas Pesaro of Italy for the rest of the 2014–15 Lega Basket Serie A season.
On August 11, 2015, Wright signed with Hapoel Holon of Israel for the 2015–16 season. On February 1, 2016, he left Holon and signed with Pallacanestro Varese of Italy for the rest of the 2015–16 Lega Basket Serie A season.
On August 29, 2016, Wright inked a deal with Guaros de Lara of the Venezuelan Liga Profesional de Baloncesto, but two days later, on September 1, 2016, he signed with Auxilium CUS Torino of Italy for the 2016–17 Lega Basket Serie A season.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- "McDonald's Game: Wright, Griffin Shine". ScoutHoops.com and Scout.com. 2012-03-27.
- "WINTER 2005 ALL-MET". The Washington Post Company. 2005.
- "WINTER 2006 ALL-MET". The Washington Post Company. 2006.
- "WINTER 2007 ALL-MET (Boys' Basketball)". The Washington Post Company. 2007.
- "GATORADE BOYS' BASKETBALL POY: WASHINGTON D.C. – CHRIS WRIGHT". risemag.com. 2007-04-04. Retrieved 2007-05-12.
- Chris Wright Recruiting Profile
- Tarik El-Bashir (2011-02-24). "Georgetown's Chris Wright has surgery, expected back for the NCAA tournament". Washington Post. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- "Overall Statistics". Big East Conference. 2011-02-24. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- Olin Edirne signs rookie Chris Wright
- Former Georgetown Guard Chris Wright Named Eurobasket.com Player of the Week
- Hornets sign 3
- Energy 2012 Training Camp Roster Archived 2012-11-17 at the Wayback Machine.
- Two Replacements Named for the 2013 NBA Development League All-Star Game Archived 2016-06-10 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Mavericks sign guard Chris Wright to 10-day contract". InsideHoops.com. March 13, 2013. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- "Iowa's Chris Wright Signs with Dallas Mavericks as Year's 25th GATORADE Call-Up". NBA.com. March 13, 2013. Archived from the original on April 13, 2016. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- "Mavericks sign Chris Wright to 10-day deal". ESPN.com. March 13, 2013. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- Chris Wright won't get 2nd deal
- Capitanes signed Chris Wright and Justin Keenan
- "ASVEL announced Chris Wright". Sportando.net. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- IOWA ENERGY ANNOUNCE RETURNING, TRYOUT PLAYERS FOR 2014 TRAINING CAMP Archived 2014-11-06 at the Wayback Machine.
- Iowa Energy Acquire Hassan Whiteside
- Bakersfield Jam Acquire Chris Wright Off Waivers Archived 2015-01-31 at the Wayback Machine.
- Victoria Libertas Pesaro lands Chris Wright
- "Hapoel Holon announces Chris Wright". Sportando.com. August 11, 2015. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- "Chris Wright signs with Pallacanestro Varese". Sportando.com. February 1, 2016. Retrieved February 1, 2016.
- Chris Wright inks with Guaros de Lara
- "No more Telfair, Auxilium Cus Torino inks Chris Wright". Sportando.com. September 1, 2016. Retrieved September 23, 2016.