Chris Young (baseball coach)
|Born: April 19, 1981|
Christopher Matthew Young (born April 19, 1981) is an American professional baseball coach who serves as bullpen coach for the Chicago Cubs of Major League Baseball (MLB). He formerly served as pitching coach for the Philadelphia Phillies. Previously, he was a pitcher in Minor League Baseball.
Young attended Mississippi State University, and played college baseball for the Mississippi State Bulldogs. He earned Freshman All-America honors. In 2001 he was 5-1 with a 2.81 ERA. In 2002, he had a 5-2 win-loss record with a 3.67 earned run average (ERA), and was named the Southeastern Conference Pitcher of the Week for the week ending May 20. Young earned a Bachelor of Business Administration in marketing from Mississippi State University.
The Colorado Rockies selected Young in the 18th round of the 2002 Major League Baseball draft, and he played in Minor League Baseball for six seasons, pitching in as high as Class AAA. He was 24-23 with a 3.54 ERA in 409 1⁄3 innings pitched over 266 games played.
Scouting and coaching career
Young worked as a scout for the San Diego Padres from 2010 through 2014, and as a scout and scouting supervisor for the Houston Astros from 2015 through 2017. After the 2017 season, the Phillies hired Young as an assistant pitching coach for their major league roster. He was promoted to pitching coach for the 2019 season. He was fired after the 2019 season.
- ""Chris Young"". The Baseball Cube. Retrieved 2019-11-10.
- "FORMER BSB ASSISTANT HIRED BY PHILLIES"
- "Colorado Rockies Draft Bulldog Junior Pitcher Chris Young - Mississippi State University Athletics". Hailstate.com. Retrieved 2019-11-10.
- "Mississippi State Athletics". hailstate.com. Retrieved 2018-01-05.
- ""Chris Young Minor & Independent Leagues Statistics & History"". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 2019-11-10.
- "Young joins Phillies as assistant pitching coach to Kranitz". usatoday.com. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- Jeff Todd (2018-11-14). "Phillies To Promote Chris Young To Pitching Coach". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved 2019-11-10.
- Sullivan, Paul (November 7, 2019). "Cubs hire former Phillies pitching coach Chris Young as new bullpen coach, report says". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved November 7, 2019.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference (Minors)