Christ Church (Bronx, New York)
Christ Church Episcopal Complex
Christ Church, June 2013
|Location||5030 Riverdale Ave., Bronx, New York|
|Area||1.2 acres (0.49 ha)|
|Architect||Richard M. Upjohn of Upjohn & Co.|
|Architectural style||Second Empire, High Victorian Gothic|
|NRHP Reference #||83001637|
|Added to NRHP||September 08, 1983|
The church was founded in 1866 and its building, made from brick and local stone with a simple pierced-wall belfry; the church building was built in 1866 to designs by architect Richard M. Upjohn. It was built in 1866 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. The building underwent exterior restoration in 1991 and 1992, and it has been designated as a New York City landmark.
In addition to its traditional worship services, the church is home to the "Great Music Concert Series," which offers presentations of classical, sacred and jazz performances.
- Staff (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Norval White and Elliot Willensky, AIA Guide to New York City, rev. ed., (New York: Collier Books, 1978), p.342.
- Alejandro Bahamón and Àgata Losantos, New York: A Historical Atlas of Architecture (New York: Black Dog and Leventhal Publishers, Inc., 2007), p.99.
- New York Times coverage of the church's restoration
- Larry E. Gobrecht (August 1982). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Christ Church Complex". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2011-01-15. See also: "Accompanying six photos".
- Riverdale Press coverage
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in the Bronx is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a historic property or district in Bronx County, New York, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|