Christ the King Preparatory School (New Jersey)
|Christ the King Preparatory School|
|239 Woodside Avenue
Newark, NJ, (Essex County) 07104
|Motto||"The School That Works"|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|School number||(973) 483-0033|
|President||Father Bob Sandoz|
|Color(s)||Blue and Silver|
|Athletics conference||Super Essex Conference|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball, Track, Cross Country, Bowling, Golf, Cheerleading, Softball, Swimming, Wrestling|
|Affiliation||Cristo Rey Network|
|Admissions Director||Veronica Ortega|
|Athletic Director||Mr. Kearns|
Christ The King Preparatory School is a private, Roman Catholic high school in Newark, New Jersey. The school opened in the 2007 school year with an initial freshman class of 100 students, and operates within the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark.
The school operates on the site of the now-defunct Our Lady of Good Counsel High School, which closed in June 2006.
Christ The King Preparatory School opened in August 2007 and graduated its first class in 2011. It is part of the Cristo Rey Network of high schools nationwide, the original being Cristo Rey Jesuit High School in Chicago. The president of Christ the King Prep is Fr. Bob Sandoz. Its founding principal is Kevin P. Cuddihy, the former principal of St. Peter's Preparatory School in Jersey City and former dean of students at Xavier High School in Manhattan.
Tuition is $2,500 per student.
The Cristo Rey Model
In January 2008, Loyola Press released a book titled More than A Dream: How One School's Vision is Changing the World (More than a Dream official site). The book, authored by G.R. Kearney, a writer and former volunteer teacher at Cristo Rey Jesuit High School in Chicago, documents the development of the Cristo Rey model and its success throughout the United States.
The school's athletic teams compete in the Super Essex Conference, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA).
They have a series of sports being:
Boys: Basketball, Baseball (pending)
Girls: Volleyball, Softball, Cheerleading,and Basketball
Co-Ed: Bowling, Soccer, Track & Field, Cross Country, Golf, and Swimming (pending)
- Freedman, Samuel G. "Eager to Learn, Newark Teenagers Embrace Lessons in Perseverance", The New York Times, October 24, 2007. Accessed October 24, 2007.
- CKPHS. "Christ the King-About Us". Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- League Memberships – 2010-2011, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 7, 2012.
- School Website
- More than a Dream (official book site)
- Cristo Rey Network
- Partners - Cristo Rey Network
- Fr. John P. Foley honored with Presidential Citizen's Medal
- 60 minutes
- Cristo Rey Featured in WashPost column by George Will
- Boston Globe - With sense of purpose, students cut class for a day
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - Success of Innovative Urban Catholic School Sparks Major Investment