Christer Strömholm (22 July 1918 in Stockholm – 11 January 2002 in Stockholm), also known by the pseudonym Christer Christian, was a Swedish photographer and educator. He is known for his intimate black and white street photography portrait series.
Life and career
He co-founded Fotoskolan academy in Stockholm in 1962 and was its director.
He is noted for his depictions of transsexuals in the Place Blanche area of 1950s' Paris, published as Les amies de Place Blanche. The critic Sean O'Hagan, writing in The Guardian, said he "is known as the father of Swedish photography both for his abiding influence and for his role as a teacher."
In 1998 Strömholm received the 1997 Hasselblad Award. The award citation described him as "one of Scandinavia's leading photographers, and [...] the first post-war photographer to gain international renown".
- Poste Restante. P. A. Norstedt & Söners Förlag, 1967. With a transcript of an interview with Strömholm, "Before the Photographs." Swedish-language edition.
- Les Amies de Place Blanche. ETC Sweden, 1983
- Kloka ord (Wise Words). Legus, 1997. ISBN 978-9-188192-42-4. A collection of aphorisms and work notes.
- Imprints. Hasselblad Center, 1998. ISBN 9163064839
- Nueve Segundos De Mi Vida. Mexico: Conaculta / Centro de la Imagen, 1999. ISBN 978-9701829301
- On Verra Bien. Bildverksamheten Strömholm & Färgfabriken, 2002. ISBN 91-973787-6-3
- Christer Strömholm. Photo Poche. Arles, France: Actes Sud, 2006. ISBN 978-2-742760-26-8
- Poste Restante. Göttingen, Germany: Steidl, 2011. ISBN 978-3-865212-20-7
- Les Amies de Place Blanche. Stockport, Cheshire: Dewi Lewis, 2012. ISBN 978-1-907893-15-5; and Villejuif, France: Aman Iman, 2013. ISBN 2953391053. Re-edited from the original edition.
- Post Scriptum Christer Strömholm. Stockholm: Max Strom, 2013. ISBN 978-9-171262-49-3
- "Press release: Christer Strömholm is awarded the Hasselblad Foundation International Photography Prize for 1997" (PDF). Hasselblad Foundation. September 30, 1997. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 9, 2011.
- "Christer Strömholm". Hasselblad Foundation.
- "Les Amies de Place Blanche". LensCulture. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- Sean O'Hagan (2 March 2012). "Les amies de Place Blanche by Christer Strömholm – review". The Guardian.
- "Christer Strömholm: Les Amies de Place Blanche". International Center for Photography. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
Note: This article contains content from the Swedish-language edition of Wikipedia
|This Swedish biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a European photographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|