Christian Democratic National Peasants' Party
|Christian-Democratic National Peasants' Party|
|Senate leader||not represented|
|Chamber leader||not represented|
|EP leader||not represented|
|Headquarters||Bd. Carol I, nr. 24
|International affiliation||Centrist Democrat International|
|European affiliation||European People's Party|
|European Parliament group||not represented|
|Colours||Yellow and Blue/Black|
|Seats in the Senate||
1 / 176
|Seats in the Chamber||
1 / 412
|Seats in the European Parliament||
0 / 33
|Politics of Romania
The Christian Democratic National Peasants' Party (Romanian: Partidul Național Țărănesc Creștin Democrat, PNȚ-CD) is a Romanian Christian-Democratic party. It claims to be the successor of the National Peasants' Party (created from the merger of the Romanian National Party from Transylvania and Peasants' Party).
The party was founded by Corneliu Coposu, Ioan Alexandru and Ion Rațiu in December 1989 under the name Partidul Național Țărănesc Creștin și Democrat (PNȚCD or PNȚcd, Christian-Democratic National Peasants' Party). It was the first officially registered political party after the fall of Communism.
In March 2005, PNȚCD voted to change its name to Christian-Democratic People's Party (Partidul Popular Creștin-Democrat, PPCD) after the unification with Union for Romanian Reconstruction. Nowadays, this party has returned to its traditional name Partidul Național Țărănesc Creștin Democrat – PNȚCD.
The party is a member of the European People's Party (EPP).
The party is currently split between a wing sustained by Marian-Petre Miluț supporting Aurelian Pavelescu as president, that decided on an alliance with the governing Democratic Liberal Party, and one supporting Victor Ciorbea as president, and favouring an alliance with the National Liberal Party.
However, the split continued until Ciorbea left the party, in October 2012, in order to became a senator on National Liberal Party's lists. Pavelescu was recognized as president and the fractions were dissolved. PNȚCD formed with PDL and Civic Force, Right Romania Alliance (ARD). In the general elections of 2012, PNȚCD gained one senator and one deputy. On April 23, 2013, Pavelescu was elected president of the party.
Its motto as of 2006 is Fiecare contează (Everyone counts). At the 2014 EP elections PNȚCD motto was Renaștem pentru România ta! (Reborn for your Romania!)
- Corneliu Coposu (1990-1995)
- Ion Diaconescu (1995-2001)
- Constantin Dudu Ionescu (2001)
- Andrei Marga (2002)
- Victor Ciorbea (2002-2004)
- Gheorghe Ciuhandu (2004-2007)
- Marian Petre Miluț (2007-2011)
- Aurelian Pavelescu (2011–present)
- Nordsieck, Wolfram, "Romania", Parties and Elections In Europe, retrieved 6 November 2012
- Newsin, Radu Sârbu a fost reales președintele aripii anti-Miluț a PNȚCD. September 26, 2009. Accessed on September 27, 2009
- Lavinia Stan, “From Riches to Rags: The Romanian National Christian Democrat Peasant Party,” East European Quarterly, vol. 39, no. 2 (Summer 2005), pp. 179–227.
- Official site
- Official site of Cluj County Organization
- News about PNȚCD
- History of PNȚCD
- Past leaders of PNȚCD