|Created by||Kevin Downes
|Slogan(s)||Faith Affirming and Family Approved Entertainment|
|Alexa rank||187,671 (April 2014[update])|
ChristianCinema.com, Inc. is a Christian film production company as well as a distribution company, founded in 1999, by brothers Bobby Downes and Kevin Downes. In addition, the website reviews both theatrical and DVD released movies (over 6000 currently), carries news articles about Christian film and media, and often interviews filmmakers. It is also an online store for Christian films, with over 1,300 Christian-themed movies, and sells and/or rents them worldwide.
ChristianCinema.com was co-founded in 1999 in Visalia, California, by brothers, Kevin (President) and Bobby Downes (CEO). They wanted to make movies and create a system for independent filmmakers to distribute their films. Bobby designed the website in the small apartment where he lived, Kevin shipped the first movie from his spare bedroom, and they produced their first movie, The Moment After, the same year. It has been shown on the Trinity Broadcasting Network, and its website gives filmmakers a place to submit screening copies of their work with the possibility of being distributed and promoted by the website. The company now has its own warehouse and 14 employees. Angela Walker (director of producer relations) sends a weekly e-newsletter with recommendations about new releases and more to over 58,000 people. Jared Geesey is the Vice President of ChristianCinema.com.
ChristianCinema.com is also an online store for Christian films, and carries only Christian-oriented or family-friendly films. It calls itself "the biggest Christian movie store on the planet," with, in 2007, over 1,300 Christian-themed movies, and it sells and/or rents them worldwide. Many of ChristianCinema.com's members are churches that have weekly or monthly movie nights. It has a DVD Rental Club that works similar to Netflix, with monthly rates, free shipping and no late fees. Club members can buy the DVDs or check out two to five films at a time.
They have created, worked on, or distributed the following films:
- The Moment After (1999)
- Mercy Streets (2000)
- Lay It Down (2001)
- Time Changer (2002)
- Six: The Mark Unleashed (2003)
- The Moment After II (2006)
- The Visitation (2006)
- The List (2007)
- In Gramps' Shoes (2014)
- "Christiancinema.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Fonte, Diwata (November 13, 2004). "Visalia, Calif.-based film company helps tell Christian tales". The Fresno Bee. Retrieved March 28, 2009.
- Castillo, Brent (May 30, 2007). "Religion and media column". The Wichita Eagle. Retrieved March 28, 2009.
- Wilde, Carol (October 29, 2007). "Web savvy retailing". Video Business. Retrieved April 1, 2009.
- Wilde, Carol (September 25, 2006). "Inspiration wrapped up". Video Business. Retrieved April 1, 2009.
- "Netflix spawns a mailbox full of imitators". The Boston Globe. August 27, 2006. Retrieved March 28, 2009.
- "Christian Cinema Available Online". The Sun Herald. June 1, 2007. Retrieved March 28, 2009.
- Bylund, Jennilyn (June 14, 2004). "Brigham Young U.: Moviemakers target Christian audience". The America's Intelligence Wire. Retrieved April 1, 2009.
- Kirsner, Scott (August 27, 2006). "Netflix spawns a mailbox full of imitators". The Boston Globe. Retrieved April 1, 2009.
- Blatter, Helene (June 10, 2006). "Join the Club". The Press-Enterprise. Retrieved April 1, 2009.