|Born||5 April 1955
|Notable works||Patriots: The Vietnam War Remembered From All Sides|
Christian Gerard Appy (born April 5, 1955) is the author of three books on American History and a Professor of History at the University of Massachusetts. His most recent book is called American Reckoning: The Vietnam War and Our National Identity and it was released in February 2015. Appy is widely known as a leading historian and expert on the Vietnam War experience.
Christian was born in Atlanta, Georgia in 1955. In 1964, his family moved to Westport, Connecticut, where he attended public school and graduated from Staples High School in 1973. At Amherst College, class of 1977, he majored in American Studies and wrote a prize-winning honors thesis on Appalachian coal miners. He received his Ph.D in the History of American Civilization at Harvard University in 1987. His dissertation received the Ralph Henry Gabriel dissertation prize from the American Studies Association. It went on to become his first book, Working Class War: American Combat Soldiers and Vietnam. Appy taught at Harvard and MIT before accepting a position in the history department at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, in 2004. His book Patriots: The Vietnam War Remembered from All Sides is widely assigned to college students studying the Vietnam War, due to its unique and nearly comprehensive view of those involved in the war. The book includes excerpts from dozens of oral historians conducted by Appy over the course of researching the book. It also won the 2004 Massachusetts Book Award for nonfiction. In 2013, Appy received the University of Massachusetts Distinguished Teaching Award. Professor Appy is married to Katherine Appy, and has two children and three stepchildren. Chris and his family live in Amherst, Massachusetts. His most recent book, "American Reckoning: The Vietnam War and Our National Identity" was released in early 2015.
- Cold War Constructions: The Political Culture of United States Imperialism, 1945-1966. Univ of Massachusetts Press. 24 April 2000. ISBN 978-1-5584-9218-9.
- Working-Class War: American Combat Soldiers and Vietnam. Univ of North Carolina Press. 9 November 2000. ISBN 978-0-8078-6011-3.
- Patriots: The Vietnam War Remembered from All Sides. Penguin Publishing Group. 28 September 2004. ISBN 978-1-4406-2654-8.
- Vietnam: The Definitive Oral History Told from All Sides, Ebury, 2006, ISBN 9780091910112
- American Reckoning: The Vietnam War and Our National Identity. Penguin Publishing Group. 5 February 2015. ISBN 978-0-698-19155-6.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Christian Appy.|
|This biography of an American historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|