23 November 1919|
|Died||15 March 1945
Missing in action near Stuhlweissenburg, Hungary
|Years of service||1933–45|
|Unit||3rd SS Panzer Division Totenkopf|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
Christian Bachmann (23 November 1919 — 15 March 1945) was a Sturmbannführer (Major), in the Waffen SS during World War II who was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, an award given by Nazi Germany for extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership during World War II.
On further promotion to Obersturmführer(Senior Storm Leader) in September 3rd SS Division Totenkopf 1942, Bachmann was posted onto the staff of the III.Battalion, 1st Infantry Regiment, Totenkopf. In 1943 he was given command of the 11th Company, 5th SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment Totenkopf and also awarded the German Cross in gold. In 1944 he was given command of the II.5th SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment 5 Totenkopf.
It was when in command of this Battalion that Bachman was sent to Budapest on 1 January 1945, and forced back the Soviet Union forces trying to take Budapest, several kilometers. It was for this action that he was awarded the Knight's Cross in February 1945.
- 1938 SS-Sturmmann
- 1938 SS-Rottenführer
- 1939 SS-Unterscharführer
- 1941 SS-Untersturmführer
- 1942 SS-Obersturmführer
- 1944 SS-Hauptsturmführer
- 1945 SS-Sturmbannführer (posthumously)
- Kurowski Franz, Infantry Aces, Stackpole Books, 2005, ISBN 0-8117-3202-9
- Florian Berger (2004), Ritterkreuzträger mit Nahkampfspange in Gold, ISBN 3-9501307-3-X
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Mitcham, Jr.Samuel, Retreat to the Reich, Stackpole books 2007. ISBN 0-8117-3384-X
- Henschler Henri & Fay Will, Armor Battles of the Waffen-SS, 1943-45 Stackpole Books, 2003. ISBN 0-8117-2905-2