The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (March 2022)
|Formerly||Christian Book Distributors|
|Ray Hendrickson, President & CEO|
|Products||Books, Bibles, DVDs, CDs, mp3s, gifts, toys, games|
Number of employees
Christianbook, LLC, formerly known as Christian Book Distributors (CBD), is a Christian catalog and internet retailer.
Christian Book Distributors was started in 1978 by Stephen Hendrickson, 19 years old and a sophomore at Central Bible College in Springfield, Missouri, out of his parents’ home in Lynn, Massachusetts. Stephen Hendrickson incorporated the business, first as a nonprofit, and subsequently as a for profit corporation on September 10, 1981.[non-primary source needed]
In 1984 the company built a 24,000-square-foot (2,200 m2) facility in the Centennial Industrial Park in Peabody. By 1996 CBD had completely outgrown the site and built a new facility across the street, where it remains today. The facility is now 300,000 square feet (28,000 m2). In 2012, CBD was described as employing a staff of just over 500 while "[continuing] to be a family affair", with its younger co-founder, his 80-year-old mother and his 23-year-old son "still involved with the company".
In August 2004 Ray Hendrickson replaced Stephen Hendrickson as President/CEO.
In 2008 CBD announced it had entered into a partnership agreement with Focus on the Family to take over the ministry's e-commerce site and product distribution. The partnership took effect early 2009. In June 2019, Christian Book Distributors changed its name to Christianbook, Inc. due to confusion with CBD, a chemical from cannabis.
- "Christian Book Distributors Articles of Incorporation" (PDF). pdfhost.io. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2021-08-09. Retrieved 2021-08-03.
- "TopWorkplaces - Profile for Christian Book Distributors, Inc". twp.workplacedynamics.com. Archived from the original on March 9, 2012.
- "Boston.com - The Globe 100's Top Places to Work - 2009 - Christian Book Distributors - Jobs". archive.boston.com.
- "CHRISTIAN BOOK DISTRIBUTORS SOLD, REMAINS A FAMILY BUSINESS". www.christianretailing.com.
- "Christian Book Distributors Company History - BibleGateway with Christianbook.com". biblegateway.christianbook.com.
- Vigdor, Neil (July 13, 2019). "The Other CBD: Christian Book Distributors Changes Name After Cannabis Confusion". New York Times. Retrieved July 21, 2019.