Christian History Institute
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Christian History Institute is a non-profit organization located in Worcester, Pennsylvania, producer or co-producer of several award-winning films, the Torchlighters: Heroes of the Faith series, and the founder of Christian History magazine.
Founded by Dr. A. Kenneth Curtis (1939-2011) in 1982, Christian History Institute from its inception issued film and print resources for laity education in Christian history, including supplemental material for Christian films and videos, Christian History magazine, and Glimpses bulletins.
In 1999, Christian History Institute went on-line with a website which offered stories from church history for each day of the year in three one-year cycles. That material remains online under new ownership and has been heavily referenced on the web and in wikipedia itself.
Today, Christian History Institute produces study guides on historical subjects, new issues of Christian History magazine, and Christian history videos for DVD and Television. Its major activity, however, is the co-production of the ongoing and highly popular The Torchlighters: Heroes of the Faith series, in cooperation with Voice of the Martyrs and International Films. These animated biographies of Christian heroes for children have won numerous awards at major film festivals such as WorldFest-Houston International Film Festival and ICVM (International Christian Visual Media) and have been favorably reviewed in a number of secular and Christian sources. Its current websites chitorch, torchlighters and 'Christian History magazine' offer studies of Christian history in various formats.
Award Winning TV, DVD, and Film Co-Productions
From Christ to Constantine: The Trial and Testimony of the Early Church. (1990) • Chris Award from Columbus International Film & Video Festival • Gold Award from Houston International Film & Video Festival;
The Reformation Overview. (1995) Individual units within this package won over 30 international film awards.
Candle in the Dark. (1998) • Gold Award at Christian Broadcasting Commission of UK 1998; • Gold Award at WorldFest Houston 1999; • Gold Award at Aurora Awards; • Bronze Plaque at Columbus International Film & Video Festival 1999; • Golden Eagle Award at CINE Golden Eagle Awards 1999;
Test of Time. (2001) A co-production with the BBC, the full title of this program is Putting the teachings of Jesus to the Test of Time, which it does through contemporary case studies. • Columbus Int’l Film & Video, Honorable Mention 2001
Christian History Nos. 1-21 (No. 9 was a special book edition published by Lion Publishing Inc.), 100+
Glimpses Nos. 1-216
Glimpses for Kids Nos. 1-52
Bewes, Richard. Wesley Country; a Pictorial History Based on John Wesley's Journal. Camp Hill, PA: Christian Publications, Inc.; Worcester, PA: Christian History Institute, 2005.
Curtis, A. Kenneth. "The Hampton Court Conference." in Translation that Openeth the Window; Reflections on the History and Legacy of the King James Bible. Edited by David G. Burke. Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2009.
Curtis, A. Kenneth. and Carsten Peter Thiede, eds. From Christ to Constantine; the Trial and Testimony of the Early Church. Worcester, PA: Christian History Institute, 1991.
Curtis, A. Kenneth and Dan Graves. Great Women in Christian History; 37 women who changed their world. Camp Hill, PA: WingSpread Publications; Worcester, PA: Christian History Institute, 2004.
——— This Day in Christian History. Camp Hill, PA: Christian Publications, Inc., 2005.
Langmead, Clive. Robber of the Cruel Streets; the Prayerful Life of George Mueller. Crusade for World Revival; Worcester, PA: Christian History Institute, 2006.
Radcliff, Kaylena. "Torchlighters Biography Series: Corrie ten Boom." Worcester, PA: Christian History Institute, 2014.
- "Curtis, Alton Kenneth." Marquis Who's Who, 2008
- Charter filed with the Department of State for the State of Pennsylvania, November, 1982.
- "The Early History of Christian History Institute" Glimpses #213. Worcester, PA: Christian History Institute, 2006
- "The History Behind Christian History." Christian History #36; Vol. XI #4, pp. 43-45.
- "Welcome to the New Glimpses" Glimpses #61.
- The majority of these stories were developed by Ken Curtis, PhD, Diane Severance, PhD, and Dan Graves, MSL, with research assistance by Ann Snyder, PhD.
- http://www.christianhistorytimeline.org Christian History Timeline
- e.g.: School Library Journal (Oct 2006 v52 i10 p551); Church Libraries (Fall 2005 p.40); Howard, Jim Bob. "Missionary Heroism" Homeschooling Today (May/June 2008 p.63); Midwest Book Review (September 2008); Johansson, Lois. "Shelf Help" CE Counselor (1999-8 p.10), etc
- Hess, Brian. "A Brief History of Christian Films: 1918-2002" http://www.avgeeks.com/bhess/christian_film_history.html notes that the Christian Film Distributors' Association (CFDA) was formed in 1974 but declined with the increase of VHS. Records are no longer readily available.
- http://www.chrisawards.org/about/ About + History
- For instance, The Radicals won the 1990 Columbus International Film & Video Festival Chris Award http://www.imdb.com/event/ev0000187/1990 and the Golden Eagle Award from CINE http://www.cine.org/archives/winner-archives/pdfs/1990-CINE-Winner-Directory.pdf
- http://www.worldfest.org/downloads/WFH1999E.xls WorldFest Houston 1999 Awards
- Aurora Awards online listings go back to 2006 http://www.auroraawards.com/
- http://www.chrisawards.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/1999winners.pdf The Chris 1999
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on December 22, 2009. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- http://www.awn.com/news/call-entries/worldfest-flagstaff Worldfest Flagstaff