Kalin at the Global Residence and Citizenship Conference in Dubai, 2015
Christian H. Kälin
1971 (age 47–48)
|Alma mater||University of Zurich|
|Occupation||Lawyer, author, editor, businessman|
|Title||Chairman, Henley & Partners|
Christian H. Kälin (born 1971) is a Swiss lawyer, author, editor, businessman, and the chairman of Henley & Partners and is known as "Mr Citizenship" or "The Passport King". Kälin is considered one of the world's leading experts in investment migration and citizenship-by-investment, a field he pioneered.
Kälin holds master's and PhD degrees in law from the University of Zurich. His doctoral thesis was published under the title Ius Doni: The Acquisition of Citizenship by Investment. Having coined the term ius doni as a stand-in for citizenship-by-investment, Kälin introduced the concept of ius doni into the contemporary legal and political theory of citizenship by providing the first academic analysis of the subject. He is the author, co-author, or editor of the Global Residence and Citizenship Handbook, the Henley & Partners – Kochenov Quality of Nationality Index (an annual academic publication), Ius Doni: The Acquisition of Citizenship by Investment, the International Real Estate Handbook, and the Switzerland Business & Investment Handbook. Kälin is the Editor-in-Chief of the Global Citizenship Review, a quarterly publication in which international authors from legal, financial, business, political, academic and philanthropic spheres provide insight into key issues affecting global citizens through analysis, commentary, and news. Kälin is also the founder and chairman of Andan Foundation, based in Switzerland, which focuses in particular on supporting displaced people and coordinates the multi-year partnership between Henley & Partners and UNHCR.
Kälin was born in 1971 in Zurich. In his teenage years, he began collecting immigration and citizenship laws from different countries, writing to embassies to request copies of their legislations and keeping the documents in a big binder. He told writer and journalist Atossa Araxia Abrahamian of this time in his life: "What always fascinated me was the inclusionary and exclusionary aspect of citizenship [...] I wanted to understand how different countries handled this." Kälin studied in Paris, Auckland and Zurich and earned master's and PhD degrees in law from the University of Zurich.
Kälin is the chairman of Henley & Partners. He is also a member of the Governing Board of the Investment Migration Council in Geneva. He has spoken at international conferences on different aspects of international residence, citizenship and real estate and is a member of the panel of judges for the International Property Awards. In 2016 at The Economist Mediterranean Leadership Summit he gave a keynote speech on how smaller states can harness the benefits of Citizenship-by-Investment programs to boost their foreign direct investments, and that this has been practiced since Roman times. Kälin is also licensed as an independent insurance intermediary by the Swiss Federal Government and a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), the International Tax Planning Association (ITPA), and the Investment Migration Council (IMC).
He is known for pioneering the concept of "citizenship-by-investment", whereby people can acquire citizenship in return for investing in a country of which they are not a national.
Kälin is also featured in a book about the investment migration industry, Cosmopolites: The Coming of the Global Citizen by former Reuters New York journalist Atossa Abrahamian, published in 2015.
Kälin created and co-authored the Henley Passport Index, which was first published in 2006. The index displays the travel freedom each citizen in this world has. In partnership with the IATA, visa regulations are monitored and analyzed worldwide.
In collaboration with Dr. Dimitry Kochenov, an EU professor of law, Kälin authored The Quality of Nationality Index (QNI), an annual academic report published since 2015. The index ranks the quality of nationalities based on internal and external factors.
Kälin and Henley & Partners have worked with the governments of Antigua and Barbuda, Austria, Australia, Cyprus, Greece, Grenada, Malta, Montenegro, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, and Thailand. Kälin states that "citizenship is inherently unjust".
In 2010, Kälin was introduced to SCL Group and its CEO Alexander Nix during the St. Kitts and Nevis 2010 election campaign. Both sides claimed that there was never a formal working relationship between them and that the exchange of ideas and information that took place between them was a natural and normal consequence of their operating in the same region and countries since many years.
In June 2012, a former SCL operative emailed Kälin about "interesting developments" in Malta: "I can introduce you to the opposition leader, if that helps, he's young, very purposeful and open to international investment, and many say he'll win". In May 2017, it was revealed that Kälin consulted with Malta's Prime Minister, Joseph Muscat, and Minister of Justice, Owen Bonnici together with law firm Mishcon de Reya, to write to the investigative journalist, Daphne Caruana Galizia, in an attempt to get her to remove speculative and defamatory blog posts. Daphne Caruana Galizia was a fierce critic of Malta's citizenship by investment program, accusing the Maltese government and Henley & Partners of collusion. Peter S. Vincent, a former senior lawyer and counter-terrorism official with the US Department of Homeland Security and US Department of Justice and current Assistant Director General for BORDERPOL, on the other hand said in a 2017 interview about the due diligence practices among citizenship by investment programs, "If we’re looking for a model, not just for the European Union but for the entire world, I would look to a country like Malta".
Asked by The Economist, Kälin responded, "If you operate globally, you have to have more than one passport", but declined to reveal how many passports he holds himself. He has written and held speeches on the benefits of residence and citizenship by investment programs as tools to attract foreign direct investments for smaller states.
- Switzerland Business and Investment Handbook (John Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, US, 2006)
- Global Residence and Citizenship Handbook
- Henley & Partners – Kochenov Quality of Nationality Index
- International Real Estate Handbook (Christian H. Kälin, Andrew J. Taylor)
- Anti-Money Laundering (Christian H. Kälin, Wouter H. Muller, John G. Goldsworth)
- Global Residence and Citizenship Programs 2017–2018: The Definitive Comparison of the Leading Investment Migration Programs (Christian H. Kälin) for Henley & Partners
- Ius Doni: The Acquisition of Citizenship by Investment by Christian H. Kälin
- 'Investment Migration: The New Competitive Edge' (Christian H. Kälin) in The International Family Offices Journal (December 2017)
- 'New Citizenship Options Will Open Up' (Christian H. Kälin) in the 2017 Knight Frank Wealth Report
- 'Only as Strong as Their Weakest Link' (Christian H. Kälin) in the 2018 Knight Frank Wealth Report
- 'Swiss Companies in International Tax Planning' (Christian H. Kälin) in Trust and Trustees, volume 11, issue 10 (October 2005)
- A Guide to Investment Migration for Governments and Global Citizens (Christian H. Kälin) for Henley & Partners, in partnership with The Economist Group (April 2018)
- 'Malta's Due Diligence Will Become the Global Standard' (Christian H. Kälin) for Investment Migration Insider (May 2018)
- 'Consolidation Will Drive the Industry Forward' (Christian H. Kälin) for the 2018/2019 Investment Migration Yearbook
- Ius Doni in International Law and EU Law by Christian H. Kälin
- "This Swiss Lawyer Is Helping Governments Get Rich Off Selling Passports". bloomberg.com. 11 March 2015. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "Revealed: Cambridge Analytica and the Passport King - The Spectator". spectator.co.uk. 31 March 2018. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "German Nationality World's Best, Afghan Worst, According to Index Released Today". 13 September 2017. Retrieved 6 September 2018 – via www.imidaily.com.
- "Passport King helps poor nations turn citizenship into a resource". www.msn.com. Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- "Biography". www.chriskalin.com. Retrieved July 27, 2018.
- "Passport Bubble". www.newrepublic.com. Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- "Ius Doni - the acquisition of citizenship by investment". www.worldcat.com. Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- H., Kälin, Christian. Ius Doni : the acquisition of citizenship by investment. Mahlmann, Matthias. Zürich. ISBN 9780993586637. OCLC 958587778.
- "About Global Citizenship Review". globecit.com. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "Andan Foundation". www.fundraiso.ch. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- Atossa Araxia Abraham. "The Man who sold the World". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- "Dr. Christian H. Kälin - Henley & Partners". www.henleyglobal.com. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "My email to Christian Kalin of Henley & Partners right now - Daphne Caruana Galizia's Notebook - Running Commentary". daphnecaruanagalizia.com. 12 May 2017. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "Citizens of anywhere". 1843magazine.com. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- "Balkan Dream Properties International Property Awards 2006". www.bd-properties.com.
- Christian Kalin (Video). 5 May 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2018.
- "Roman Citizenship". 27 January 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2018 – via www.ancient.eu.
- "The Passport King". 11 March 2015. Retrieved 2 April 2018 – via www.bloomberg.com.
- "The Cosmopolites, the Passport Market, and the Dawn of the Global Citizen". 10 November 2015. Retrieved 12 July 2018 – via www.psmag.com.
- Antonia Wilson (14 January 2019). "UK passport drops to sixth in global power index". The Guardian. Retrieved 17 January 2019 – via www.theguardian.com.
- Euan McKirdy (9 January 2019). "Henley Index: Japan tops 2019 list of world's most powerful passports". CNN. Retrieved 14 January 2019 – via www.us.cnn.com.
- "[WATCH] 'Citizenship is inherently unjust' says passport king Christian Kalin". maltatoday.com.mt. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "Is Alexander Nix gravely misunderstood". 8 June 2018.
- "Henley denies interference in elections where Cambridge Analytica was involved". 28 March 2018.
- "Who really murdered Daphne?". 5 May 2018.
- "My email to Christian Kalin of Henley & Partners right now". Running Commentary. 27 June 2018.
- "BREAKING/Prime Minister and chief of staff use @josephmuscat.com addresses to deal secretly with Henley & Partners chairman, who addresses them as "Keith and Joseph" (in that order) - Daphne Caruana Galizia's Notebook - Running Commentary". 31 May 2017.
- "Malta Should Mentor Caribbean CIPs on Due Diligence, Says Thomson Reuters General Counsel". 23 November 2011.
- "Citizens of anywhere". 1843magazine.com/. October 2017. Retrieved 19 July 2018.
- "South Africans can visit these 102 countries without a visa right now". www.businesstech.co.za. 12 July 2018. Retrieved 31 October 2018.
- "Investment Migration: A Future-Proofing Mechanism for Smaller States". www.forbesmiddleeast.com/en/. 30 October 2018. Retrieved 31 October 2018.
- Hoyt L. Barber (31 July 2011). Freedom Without Borders: How to Invest, Expatriate, and Retire Overseas for Personal and Financial Success. ABC-CLIO. pp. 142–. ISBN 978-0-313-39391-4.
- Kalin, Christian H.; Taylor, Andrew J. (1 December 2015). Kälin, Christian H. (ed.). "International Real Estate Handbook". Ideos Publications Ltd – via Amazon.
- Muller, Wouter H.; Kalin, Christian H.; Goldsworth, John G., eds. (5 June 2007). "Anti-Money Laundering: International Law and Practice". Wiley – via Amazon.
- Partners, Henley &, ed. (31 October 2017). "Global Residence and Citizenship Programs 2017-2018: The Definitive Comparison of the Leading Investment Migration Programs". Ideos Verlag AG – via Amazon.
- Kälin, Christian H. (19 June 2018). "Ius Doni : the acquisition of citizenship by investment". Ideos Publications Limited – via Google Books.
- "The International Family Offices Journal". www.globelawandbusiness.com.
- "The Wealth Report". www.knightfrank.com.
- "The Wealth Report 2018 - Download". www.knightfrank.com.
- "Henley & Partners". Henley & Partners.
- ""Malta's Due Diligence Will Become the Global Standard" - Interview with Chris Kälin, Part 2 - Investment Migration Insider". 14 May 2018.
- "Investment Migration (IM) Yearbook 2018/2019 - Investment Migration Forum".
- Kälin, Christian H. (27 March 2019). "Ius Doni in International Law and EU Law". Brill/Nijhoff – via Brill.