Christian Medical College, Ludhiana
|Motto||Sona Loban Mur (Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh)|
Motto in English
|My Work Is For A King|
|Founder||Dame Edith Mary Brown|
|Chairman||Dr Sudhir Joseph|
|Director||Dr William Bhatti|
|Colours||Green, yellow and red|
|Affiliations||Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Medical Council of India|
Medical missionary work in Ludhiana was begun in 1881 by Scottish evangelist sisters Martha Rose Greenfield and Kay Greenfield. Dame Edith Mary Brown joined them in 1893 The following year they established the North Indian School of Medicine for Christian Women. In 1964, the Department of Medicine attained the requisite number of teachers and services to the extent that it was upgraded to train postgraduates in medicine, leading to the M.D. degree.At present the college offers both speciality and superspeciality degrees in all major speciality and superspeciality services and is affiliated to BFUHS.
The hospital provides a wide variety of services, ranging from primary peripheral care to superspecialty care. Departments and services include Anesthesia and Critical Care, Clinical Psychology, Dermatology, ENT, Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Internal Medicine and Specialties, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Physiotherapy, Radiation Therapy and surgical specialties. Superspecialty services like Cardiology, Cardio Thoracic Surgery, Neurosurgery, Oncology, Neonatology, Neurology, Nephrology, Pediatric Surgery, Plastic Surgery & Microsurgery and Urology & Transplantation and Clinical Hematology. The hospital's Psychiatry Department is combating the substance abuse crisis in Punjab. The Department offers de-addiction services and has found that most patients are between 20–30 years old and are addicted to anything from cough syrup and heroin to cocaine and alcohol.
CMC Ludhiana provides health care and education in urban and rural communities through clinics and medical camps. A dedicated Rural Health Outreach Programme (RHOP) has been in place since April 2003. This new initiative has started to provide a network of health services in the rural belts around Ludhiana in conjunction with village panchayats, local trusts and other local organizations. A monthly psychiatric clinic is held at Missionaries of Charity, a home for mentally challenged children. Clinics in surrounding villages like Lalton Kalan, Rauwal, Malsihan Bhaike, Hambran are organized and managed under this program. The social and preventive medicine (SPM) department is very active in this program. Community health centers in nearby areas which provide basic health care are managed by this department. Students and physicians are regularly posted in these centers.
CMC Ludhiana has the following colleges associated with it:
- Christian Medical College
- Christian Dental College
- Christian Nursing College
- College of Physiotherapy
- Institute of Allied Health Sciences
CMC Ludhiana offers more than 50 courses in medical stream including MBBS, BDS and Bsc Nursing. All these courses include undergraduate, post graduate and doctoral courses. It also has awards post graduate diplomas in many fields.
National Faculty Development and FAIMER activities
The Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER), USA and the Medical Council of India have recognized the institution as a nodal center for faculty development. More than 1000 teachers from various medical colleges have been trained so far through these initiatives.
|University and college rankings|
|Medical - India|
|India Today (2018)||27|
|Outlook India (2018)||15|
The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) ranked CMC Ludhiana 18 overall in India in 2019. CMC Ludhiana is ranked 27th by India Today and 15th by Outlook India among the best medical colleges of India in 2018.
- Abraham Thomas - plastic and reconstructive surgeon, specializing in microsurgery and former director.
- Forrest C. Eggleston - former director
- George Kovoor - neurosurgeon and the Director & Chairman of Kovoor Institute of Neuro-Sciences (KINS)
- Freemu Varghese - Nephrologist of Indian Origin in the U.S. at Diagnostic Clinic of Houston, in the Texas Medical Center. He is also a film producer and president of Freedia Entertainment, Texas.
- Francesca French, Miss Brown's hospital: the story of the Ludhiana Medical College and Dame Edith Brown, O.B.E., its founder, London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1954.
- Official Website
- "Infrastructure". Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- "About us: History". Christian Medical College, Ludhiana. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "CMC Ludhiana". Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "Drug Abuse and De-Addiction in Punjab". Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "Covered in a Cloud of Addiction". The Times Of India. 21 December 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "CBM Med". Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "CBM programmme". 9 November 2018. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "FAIMER site". 10 October 2018. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- "CMCL FAIMER site". 10 October 2018. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- "India's Best Colleges 2018: Medical". India Today. 2018.
- "Top 25 Medical Colleges In 2018". Outlook India. 24 May 2018. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework, 2019 (Medical)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- Dr Freemu Varghese - imdb
- "Official Website". CMC Ludhiana. Retrieved 2 July 2019.