Nesmith has worked with his father (on the album The Garden), Michael Sherwood (on Tangletown, and in the band GLP), Ty Tabor (backing vocals on 2002's Safety) and Doug Pinnick of King's X (touring band from 1998), and formerly, Cindy Alexander. He played in the band Chodle's Trunk, with drummer Nick Menza of Megadeth and guitarist Anthony Gallo, as well as playing on a track for Menza's Life After Deth album.
He also co-writes, produces, and plays guitar on recordings for his wife, Americana musician Circe Link (Let's Go Together, 2003; One Drop of Poison, 2004; Live in Japan, 2006; Moody Girl, 2006; Vonnegut's Wife, 2011; California Kid, 2011; Dumb Luck, 2013; Bird's Amazing Odyssey & The Meaning of Tea, 2015).
In 2006, Nesmith released a solo album, An Axe to Grind, on Blackwings Multimedia.
In 2007, he was the musical director of Hair at The Met Theatre in Los Angeles, produced by Michael Butler and directed by Bo Crowell. The production won The Best Musical Award of 2007 from the LA Weekly.
He has also toured with Air Supply as a lead guitarist. Between 2012 and 2021, he toured with his father for the Monkees' reunion tours and contributed to the Monkees' Christmas album Christmas Party. Along with his brother Jonathan, and Circe Link, he is a member of a new lineup of The First National Band that has toured since 2018.
He resides in Los Angeles.
- Bollenberg, John 'Bobo' (2011). "Ty Tabor: Safety". prog-nose.org. Archived from the original on 1 June 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- Smith, Chris (May 24, 2001). "Old Dog, New Tricks". Houston Press. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "Christian Nesmith". Circe Link. 2011. Archived from the original on 20 February 2010. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "Christian Nesmith: An Axe to Grind". CD Baby. 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- Morris, Steven Leigh (February 11, 2008). "The 29th Annual L.A. Weekly Theater Awards: The Rock Opera". LA Weekly. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "Micky Dolenz on Why the Monkees Are Doing a Farewell Tour and His New 'Dolenz Sings Nesmith' Album". 21 May 2021.