||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
Photograph from Christian Patterson's Redheaded Peckerwood series
|Born||1972 (age 42–43)
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA
|Notable work||Sound Affects series
Redheaded Peckerwood series
In 2002, Patterson moved from Brooklyn, New York to Memphis, Tennessee to work with the photographer William Eggleston. In 2005, Patterson completed his first project, Sound Affects, a collection of color photographs that explore Memphis as a visual and musical place, and utilize light and color as visual analogues to sound and music. In 2008, a Sound Affects monograph was published by Edition Kaune, Sudendorf (Cologne).
Also in 2005, Patterson began working on his second project, Redheaded Peckerwood, which is loosely inspired by the late 1950s killing spree of Charles Starkweather and Caril Ann Fugate across Nebraska. Photographs are the heart of this work, but they are complemented and informed by documents and objects that belonged to the killers and their victims. Later that year, Patterson moved back to New York.
In 2011, a Redheaded Peckerwood monograph was published by Mack (London) and named one of the best photography books of the year by many photography critics. The book was nominated for the 2012 Kraszna-Krausz Book Awards and won the 2012 Recontres d'Arles Author Book Award. It features in The Photobook: A History, Vol. 3, edited by Gerry Badger and Martin Parr.
- 2003 – Another Time, Another Place, and You, Southside Gallery, Oxford, MS
- 2005 – Sound Affects, Power House, Memphis, TN
- 2006 – Sound Affects, Yancey Richardson Gallery, New York, NY
- 2007 – Sound Affects, Robert Koch Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- 2008 – Sound Affects, Kaune, Sudendorf Contemporary, Cologne, Germany
- 2012 – Sound Affects & Redheaded Peckerwood, Robert Morat Galerie, Hamburg, Germany
- 2013 – Redheaded Peckerwood, Rose Gallery, Santa Monica, CA
- Patterson, Christian (2008). Sound Affects. Cologne: Edition Kaune, Sudendorf. ISBN 9783000245145.
- Patterson, Christian (2010). Redheaded Peckerwood. Self-published.
- Patterson, Christian (2011). Redheaded Peckerwood. London: Mack. ISBN 978-1-907946-14-1.
Books with others
- Ishiki, Nobuyuki; Benge, Harvey; Engström, JH; Ethridge, Roe; Takashi, Homma; Jude, Ron; Daido, Moriyam; Patterson, Christian; Perkovic, Slavica; van Manen, Bertien; Weifenbach, Terri (2013). Lost Home. Tokyo: Super Labo. ISBN 978-4-905052-57-9. Edition of 1,000.
- Patterson, Christian (2013). Bottom of the Lake. Oakland: TBW Books. OCLC 861514425. Subscription Series #4, Book #1. Edition of 1,500.
- "Bio & CV". Christian Patterson. Retrieved September 9, 2014.
- Eyecurious: "Photobooks 2011: And the Winner is..."
- World Photography Organisation: "2012 Kraszna-Krausz Book Awards"
- The Rencontres d'Arles Award Winners: 2012
- Parr, Martin; Badger, Gerry (2014). The Photobook: A History, Volume III. London: Phaidon. pp. 279, 309. ISBN 978-0-7148-6677-2.
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation
- Christian Patterson artist website
- Rose Gallery, Santa Monica, CA
- Robert Morat Gallery, Hamburg/Berlin, Germany