Christian Science Center
The Christian Science Center is a 14.5-acre site on the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Huntington Avenue in the Fenway neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. A popular tourist attraction, the center is owned by the Church of Christ, Scientist (the Christian Science church), which refers to it as Christian Science Plaza.:1
The Christian Science Center comprises 10.4 acres of open space, a 690 x 100 ft (210 x 30 m) reflecting pool, a children's fountain, and six buildings:
- The First Church of Christ, Scientist, 250 Massachusetts Avenue, consisting of two buildings: the original Mother Church (1894) and the Church Extension (1906);
- Christian Science Publishing House (1934), 200–210 Massachusetts Avenue, built for the Christian Science Publishing Society, and now also housing the Mary Baker Eddy Library, Mapparium, Christian Science Monitor and the church's administrative staff.
- The site was extended in the 1970s, designed by Araldo Cossutta of I. M. Pei & Associates. This consisted of:
- Reflection Hall, the former Sunday School building (1971), 235 Huntingdon Avenue, at one end of the reflecting pool;
- Colonnade building (1972), 101 Belvidere Street, now named after its address;
- Administration building (1972), 177 Huntingdon Avenue, now named after its address. The 26-story building housed the church's administrative staff until 2008, when they moved to Christian Science Publishing House. As of 2011[update], it consisted of leased office space.
Assessed value (2011)
The center is split into five parcels of land, which were owned directly or beneficially by the board of directors of the Church of Christ, Scientist, as of 2011[update]. According to the City of Boston Landmarks Commission, the land consists of:
- Parcel 40116200: Mother Church (land value: $7,350,900);
- Parcel 040116400: plaza to the west of the church (land value: $5,446,900);
- Parcel 0401185000: Publishing House (land value: $9,805,700; building value: $6,617,300);
- Parcel 0401150000: plaza, reflecting pool, administration building, colonnade building, Sunday School building (land value: $35,541,700; building value: $42,766,500);
- Parcel 0401180000: lawn east and west of the Mother Church, and part of the church (land value: $5,961,700.00; building value: $19,336,600).
The First Church of Christ, Scientist and (left) Reflection Hall
Mary Baker Eddy Library, part of Christian Science Publishing House
- "Christian Science Center Complex", Boston Landmarks Commission, Environment Department, City of Boston, 25 January 2011 (hereafter Boston Landmarks Commission 2011).
- Boston Landmarks Commission 2011, pp. 1, 5–6, 18.
- "Christian Science Plaza Revitalization Project Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC)", Boston Redevelopment Authority.
- Boston Landmarks Commission 2011, p. 72.