Vásquez began to study violin at age 9, after being accepted to the El Sistema program in Venezuela, and he played in the Sinfónica Infantil de San Sebastián de los Reyes. In 2001, at age 17, he began conducting studies with José Antonio Abreu. In 2005, Vásquez became music director of the Sinfónica Juvenil de Aragua José Félix Ribas (José Felix Ribas Juvenile Symphony Orchestra of Aragua). In 2009, Vásquez was named a Gustavo Dudamel conducting fellow with the Los Angeles Philharmonic. He is currently music director of the Teresa Carreño Youth Orchestra of Venezuela.
In Europe, Vásquez first conducted the Gävle Symphony Orchestra in October 2009. In November 2010, he took up the post of principal guest conductor of the Gävle Symphony Orchestra, and held the post until 2013. Vásquez first appeared as a guest conductor with the Stavanger Symphony Orchestra (SSO) in March 2010. In September 2011, the SSO announced the appointment of Vásquez as its next chief conductor, as of the 2013-2014 season, for an initial contract of 4 years. He concluded his SSO tenure at the end of the 2018-2019 season.
- "Christian Vásquez nombrado director invitado de la Orquesta Sinfónica de Gävle". Notitarde. 2010-11-11. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- Anne-Marie Chouchan (2013-10-05). "Christian Vasquez joue avec les rythmes du monde à la Halle aux Grains". La Dépeche. Retrieved 2015-02-18.
- Roberto Palmitesta (2010-11-12). "Christian Vásquez dirige a la Sinfónica de Gävle". Analitica. Archived from the original on 2013-12-27. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- Kristian Ekenberg (2010-11-10). "Hemligheten bakom Gävles nya gästdirigent". Arbetarbladet. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- "Vásquez ny sjefdirigent" (Press release). Stavanger Symphony Orchestra. September 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- "Andris Poga ny sjefdirigent fra 2021/22-esongen" (Press release). Stavanger Symphony Orchestra. 13 June 2019. Retrieved 2019-06-22.
- Askonas Holt agency biography of Vásquez
- Karen Wada, "Dudamels in the making? L.A. Phil names conducting fellows". Los Angeles Times "Culture Monster" blog, 30 April 2009
| Chief Conductor, Stavanger Symphony Orchestra