Vázquez with the Boston Red Sox
|Boston Red Sox – No. 7|
August 21, 1990 |
Bayamón, Puerto Rico
|July 9, 2014, for the Boston Red Sox|
(through September 12, 2017)
|Runs batted in||62|
Christian Rafael Vázquez [vahs'-kays] (born August 21, 1990) is a Puerto Rican professional baseball catcher for the Boston Red Sox of Major League Baseball (MLB). He stands 5'9" and weighs 198 lbs. He has drawn accolades for his powerful throwing arm and credits his development as a catcher in part to the Molina brothers (Yadier, Jose, and Bengie), who have all played Major League Baseball.
In 2011, he hit .283 with 18 home runs and 84 RBI in 105 games for Class-A Greenville. In 2012, he batted a combined .254 for the Salem Red Sox of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League and Portland Sea Dogs of the Class AA Eastern League, compiling a .986 fielding percentage while throwing out a 40% of potential base stealers (49-for-122).
Vázquez spent the entire 2013 year with Portland, where he batted .289 in 96 games. In 2014, he produced a line of .275/.331/.715 In his first 62 games for the Pawtucket Red Sox of the Class AAA International League, and was named to the International League All-Star team. In addition, he was selected as a late addition to the All-Star Futures Game to compete on the World Roster, but was replaced following his promotion to the major leagues on July 9.
Boston Red Sox
Vázquez made his Major League debut on July 9, 2014, where he nabbed Alejandro De Aza at the plate trying to score. He recorded his first career hit off of Scott Feldman on July 11, 2014, then got two more hits, each of them doubles along with 3 RBI. On September 25, 2014, he hit his first career home run off of Jeremy Hellickson. In 55 games with the Red Sox in 2014, Vázquez batted .240 with a home run and 20 RBI.
On April 2, 2015, Vázquez underwent Tommy John surgery and was placed on the 60-day disabled list. He missed the 2015 season. After starting the 2016 season on rehab assignment with AAA Pawtucket, Vazquez was recalled to the Red Sox roster on April 15.
- "Sox-Prospects.com – Christian Vázquez page".
- "Red Sox prospect Christian Vazquez added to World Futures Fame roster". Boston Red Sox. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- Tim Britton. "Red Sox designate A.J. Pierzynski, call up Christian Vazquez". providencejournal.com. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- Elliott, Peter (April 3, 2015). "Boston Red Sox Dealt Huge Blow With Christian Vazquez to Undergo Tommy John Surgery". Talking Baws.
- Bradford, Rob (February 22, 2016). "Christian Vazquez admits feeling pain in surgically repaired right elbow, relieved to discover it's scar tissue". WEEI Full Count.
- Britton, Tim (April 15, 2016). "Red Sox option Blake Swihart". Providence Journal.
- Theisen, Laura (2017-08-01). "Boston And Cleveland Just Played The Game Of The Year". deadspin.com. Retrieved 2017-08-02.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Christian Vázquez.|