Christiane Paul (curator)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Christiane Paul is chief curator/director of the Sheila C. Johnson Design Center at Parsons School of Design and an associate professor in the School of Media Studies at The New School, and Adjunct Curator of New Media Arts at the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York City.
Paul has previously taught in the MFA computer arts department at the School of Visual Arts in New York (1999–2008); the Digital+Media Department of the Rhode Island School of Design (2005–08); the San Francisco Art Institute and the Center of New Media at the University of California at Berkeley (2008).
In 2016, Paul was the recipient of the Thoma Foundation Arts Writing Award in Digital Art for an established arts writer who has made significant contributions to the intersection of art and technology. In 2018, Paul was a speaker at the Chicago New Media Symposium which was held as part of the Chicago New Media 1973–1992 Exhibition. The Exhibition was curated by jonCates.
- Programmed: Rules, Codes, and Choreographies in Art, 1965–2018, The Whitney Museum of American Art (09/28/18 – 04/14/19)
- The Public Private – Sheila Johnson Design Center, Kellen Gallery, The New School (02/06 – 04/17)
- America's Got No Talent – Jonah Brucker Cohen and Katherine Moriwaki, artport, Whitney Museum of American Art (02/13 – present)
- Light and Dark Networks – Ursula Endlicher, Sunset / Sunrise series, artport, Whitney Museum of American Art (12/15 – present)
- The Assignment Book – a project by Luis Camnitzer, co-curated with Trebor Scholz, Arnold and Sheila Aronson Galleries, The New School (09/21 – 10/16)
- Cory Arcangel: Pro Tools – Whitney Museum of American Art (05/26 – 09/11)
- CLICKISTAN by Ubermorgen.com – online game, Whitney Museum of American Art (12/12 – present)
- Eduardo Kac: Lagoglyphs, Biotopes and Transgenic Works – Oi Futuro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (01/25 – 03/30)
- Artistic Director, 3rd Biennale Quadrilaterale – Rijeka, Croatia (12/08 – 01/16/10)
- FEEDFORWARD – The Angel of History – Laboral Art Center, Gijon, Spain; co-curated with Steve Dietz (10/22 – 04/05)
- Incheon Digital Art Festival INDAF – Incheon, Korea; co-curated with Hye Kyung Shin and Gerfried Stocker (08/07 – 10/25)
- SOS 4.8 Festival – Murcia, Spain; Co-curator (05/02 – 05/04)
- Profiling – Whitney Museum of American Art (06/08 – 09/09)
- Feedback – Laboral Center for Art and Industrial Creation, Gijon, Spain; Co-curator (03/30 – 06/30)
- Translations: Misguided Machines and Cultural Loops – Selected Works by Students of the Design+Media Dept., RISD, Emergence at DUO Theater, NYC (11/04 – 11/26)
- Second Natures – Eli & Edythe Broad Art Center, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA (09/13 – 10/26)
- ARCO Blackbox – ARCO ART Fair, Madrid, Spain; Co-curator (02/08 – 02/12)
- Follow Through – A Mobile Media Project, Whitney Museum of American Art (12/01 – 01/29)
- The Passage of Mirage – Chelsea Art Museum; public program of Intelligent Agent; Co-curator (09/14 – 10/16)
- Evident Traces – Ciberarts Festival, Bilbao, Spain (04/23 – 04/30)
- eVolution – Art Interactive Gallery, Boston (01/23 – 04/11)
- CODeDOC II – the Ars Electronica Festival, Linz, Austria (09/06 – 09/11)
- Vectors: Digital Art of Our Time – 10th anniversary exhibition of the New York Digital Salon, World Financial Center, NYC; Co-curator (04/22 – 05/25)
- CODeDOC – online exhibition at the Whitney's artport site (09/16 – present)
- Mapping Transitions – a net art exhibition and forum at the University of Colorado, Boulder; Co-curator and organizer, with Mark Amerika (09/13 – 09/15)
- 2002 Whitney Biennial, Net Art Selection (03/07 – 05/26)
- Re-Media — Net Art Selection for the 2002 Fotofest Biennial (03/01 – 04/01)
- Net Art Selection for EVO1, Gallery L, Moscow, Russia (10/04 – 10/25)
- Data Dynamics — Exhibition of Net Art, Whitney Museum (03/22 – 06/10)
- A Companion to Digital Art, Wiley-Blackwell, April 2016, Hoboken, NJ
- Digital Art, World of Art Series, Thames & Hudson, UK, 3rd revised ed. 2015 (1st edition 2003; 2nd revised edition 2008)
- Chinese Edition: Context Providers — Conditions of Meaning in Media Arts (Beijing Beepub Media & Culture Publishing Co., Ltd: Beijing, 2012)
- Context Providers — Conditions of Meaning in Media Arts, co-editor with Margot Lovejoy and Victoria Vesna, Intellect Press, UK / University of Chicago Press, 2011
- New Media in the White Cube and Beyond – Curatorial Models for Digital Art, editor, UC California Press, 2008
- telematic landscape / Telematische Landschaft, editor, Verlag Walther König, Cologne, Germany, 1999
- Unreal City, A Hypertext Companion to T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land, Storyspace hypertext software, Cambridge, MA: Eastgate Systems, Inc., 1995
- Die Antizipation der amerikanischen Postmoderne im Romanwerk Herman Melvilles / The Anticipation of Postmodern American Fiction in the Novels of Herman Melville [Dissertation], Idstein, Germany: Schulz-Kirchner Verlag, 1988
- "Faculty: Christiane Paul". School of Media Studies, The New School. Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "Christiane Paul Named New SJDC Director and Chief Curator - The New School News Releases". www.newschool.edu.
- "Collectible After All: Christiane Paul on net art at the Whitney Museum".
- Cates, Jon (2018). Chicago New Media 1973-1992. 2018: University of Illinois Press. p. 9. ISBN 978-0-252-08407-2.
- "EDICIONES ANTERIORES - FESTIVAL SOS48". 31 January 2015.
- Bruce Wands, Art of the Digital Age, London: Thames & Hudson 2006
- Ian Chilvers & John Glaves-Smith, A Dictionary of Modern and Contemporary Art. Oxford University Press 2009
- Lieser, Wolf. Digital Art. Langenscheidt: h.f. ullmann. 2009
- Sarah Cook, Verina Gfader, Beryl Graham and Axel Lapp (eds), A Brief History of Curating New Media Art, Berlin: The Green Box 2010