|Alma mater||Saint Mary’s University|
|Occupation||Founder and Chair of The Free & Equal Elections Foundation|
Christina Tobin (born 1981) is an American activist and leader in the election reform and voters’ rights movements. She is the founder and chair of The Free & Equal Elections Foundation, and president and chief executive officer of Free and Equal, Inc. Tobin also serves on the board of the Coalition for Free and Open Elections.
- 1 Background
- 2 Career and activism
- 3 California Secretary of State candidacy
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Tobin was born in Pasadena, Texas, in 1981. She grew up in Texas and Illinois and graduated from Fenwick High School in Oak Park, Illinois. She attended Saint Mary’s University in Winona, Minnesota where she served as varsity tennis captain and volunteered for Habitat for Humanity. In 2004, she earned a bachelor’s degree in graphic design with a minor in business marketing.
Career and activism
Tobin started her career as a non-partisan ballot access coordinator. An expert in defending signatures and coordinating petition drives, Tobin has helped gather and defend over 1 million signatures for independents, the Green Party, the Constitution Party, the Republican Party, the Democratic Party, the Libertarian Party and the Socialist Equality Party.
In the 1998 election for governor of Illinois, Tobin helped defend over 60,000 signatures for her father Libertarian candidate James Tobin. In 2002, she personally gathered over 5,000 signatures and successfully defended 55,000 signatures for Cal Skinner, who was running for governor, and her father, who was running for lieutenant governor representing the Libertarian Party.
In the 2004 presidential election, Tobin defended 29,000 signatures in Illinois for Ralph Nader when he ran as an independent. She also sued Democratic State Chair Michael Madigan alleging that he used his full-time state employees to have Nader removed from the Illinois ballot.
Ralph Nader’s 2008 presidential campaign
In 2008, Tobin served as Ralph Nader’s national ballot access coordinator. She helped collect more than 500,000 signatures to put Ralph Nader on the District of Columbia ballot and 45 state presidential ballots, more than any other third party or independent candidate. While coordinating the national ballot drive in 50 states, Tobin organized a successful petition drive in Illinois, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and New York.
BaliJewel Inc. lawsuit
Free & Equal Elections Foundation
Free and Equal, Inc.
In March 2009, Tobin founded Free and Equal, Inc., a non-partisan, full-service ballot access consulting and petitioning firm that specializes in independent and third party candidates. Tobin has helped gather and defend over 1 million signatures for independents, the Green Party, the Constitution Party, the Republican Party, the Democratic Party, the Libertarian Party and the Socialist Equality Party. Free and Equal, Inc. does not endorse any candidates for office. She serves as president and chief executive officer.
Taxpayers United of America
Activism to Stop the Top Two Primary System
Tobin is a passionate activist against top two primary systems. In 2012 she founded Stop Top Two, a movement designed to educate voters of the machinations behind the relatively new electoral trend. Louisiana, Washington, and California elections are now controlled via top two primary systems. Arizona's version of a top two primary system, Proposition 121, was defeated by Arizona voters November 2012. The main objective of Tobin's Stop Top Two movement was to defeat the proposition through education, media outreach, and panel discussions, including the "Problems with Arizona's Top Two Primary System - Proposition 121' panel presented by the Free & Equal Elections Foundation at the Goldwater Institute on October 9, 2012.
Other areas of activism
While Tobin's primary focus is electoral reform and voters' rights, she is an outspoken supporter of the anti-war and marijuana legalization movements and is involved with Antiwar.com, Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP), Americans for Safe Access, Marijuana Policy Project (MPP), Students for Liberty, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, March Against Monsanto, Rock the Vote, People Against the NDAA, and more.
California Secretary of State candidacy
Tobin ran as the Libertarian Party candidate for the 2010 California Secretary of State election. She formally announced her candidacy for Secretary of State on February 23, 2010. She was the only candidate seeking the Libertarian Party nomination. Richard Winger, editor and publisher of Ballot Access News was her campaign manager.
In the general election, Tobin came in fourth with 214,347 votes, 2.3% of the total votes cast.
- "About « Free And Equal". Freeandequal.org. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- "Free & Equal Inc. - Full-Service Ballot Access Consulting and Petitioning Firm". Freeandequalinc.com. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- "Coalition For Free and Open Elections". Cofoe.org. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- "Daily Herald | Foes try to knock Green Party off ballot in 14th Congressional District". dailyherald.com. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- "Blogger: Aanmelden om te lezen". Chicagoray.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
-  Archived November 19, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Huntley School Supt. Burkey Says He Used Vacation Days to Go to China". McHenry County Blog. 2010-03-13. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- "Nader collects enough signatures for Illinois ballot spot - Rockford, IL - Rockford Register Star". Rrstar.com. 2008-06-24. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- Mullman, Jeremy (2004-09-27). "Nader aide sues Madigan | Law | Crain's Chicago Business". Chicagobusiness.com. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
-  Archived May 28, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Nader/Gonzalez Submit Signatures for Illinois Ballot Line - Ralph Nader for President in 2008". Votenader.org. 2008-06-20. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- "Ballot Access News » Blog Archive » Ralph Nader’s Ballot Labels". Ballot-access.org. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- "Prominent Bali Jewelry Firm Sued in US". thebalitimes.com. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- "Free & Equal | More Voices, More Choices". freeandequal.org. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- "Chicago Teachers Receiving Big Pension Payouts? | On Air Videos | Fox News". video.foxnews.com. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- "Stop Top Two". stoptoptwo.org. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- "Parker Pioneer - ParkerPioneer.net - News". parkerpioneer.net. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- "Christina Tobin | Libertarian Party". Lp.org. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- "Ballot Access News » Blog Archive » Three Well-Known Election Law Activists Run for California Secretary of State". Ballot-access.org. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- "Campaign Kickoff « Christina Tobin For Secretary of State". tobinforca.org. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
-  Archived June 11, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.