Duffy in 2017
|Born||1960 or 1961 (age 58–59)[notes 1]|
|Education||Frankford High School|
|Occupation||President of Carnival Cruise Line|
Christine DeVone Duffy is an American businesswoman. She is the president of Carnival Cruise Line.
Early life and education
After graduating from Frankford High School, Duffy attempted to become an airline attendant but was too short at just 5 foot. Her dream to become a flight attendant grew from the travelling she did in her youth to visit family in Europe.
After being rejected from her dream of becoming a flight attendant, Duffy accepted a placement as a receptionist at Rosenbluth Travel. Duffy eventually earned a position as a travel agent at McGettigan Travel in Philadelphia. She stayed with the company for 20 years and eventually became president. When the company was bought out by Maritz Travel Co., she became Maritz’s president and chief executive. She was the first female president in Maritz Travel Co. history. While serving as president, she also sat on the Meeting Professionals International (MPI) board of directors and was its chairwoman in 2005 and 2006. She also founded MPI’s Women’s Leadership Initiative and served as its inaugural chairwoman. In 2010, Duffy left Maritz to become president of Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA). As President, she was named the godmother of AmaWaterways ship the AmaCerto in 2012.
In 2014, Duffy became the first female president of Carnival Cruise Line, replacing Gerry Cahill. Upon accepting the promotion, Duffy visited all Carnival ships, met with employees, and shadowed staff members to understand the cruise line. By 2018, she was the honored by the by the South Florida Business Journal as an Influential Business Women.
- In 2014, Duffy was reported to be 53
- Tom Stieghorst (December 22, 2014). "New Carnival CEO says she can 'relate to the brand'". travelweekly.com. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- Waring, Tom (November 3, 2019). "Carnival Cruise Line president wins Frankford High's Pioneer Achievement Award". Northeast Times. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- Arvedlund (March 9, 2018). "Philly native Christine Duffy cruises to become president of Carnival Cruise Line". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- Martin, Hugo (August 17, 2018). "How I Made It: She was too short to be a flight attendant. Now she runs the world's largest cruise line". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- Chabeli Herrera (March 20, 2016). "Q&A with Christine Duffy, Carnival Cruise Line president". Miami Herald. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- Jainchill, Johanna (December 16, 2010). "CLIA hires new chief, Maritz executive Christine Duffy". travelweekly.com. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- "AmaWaterways Announces CLIA President Christine Duffy to Be the Godmother of the AmaCerto". businesswire.com. March 27, 2012. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- Reiser, Emon (December 17, 2014). "Carnival Corp. names first female president of Carnival Cruise Line". bizjournals.com. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- Kalosh, Anne (April 16, 2018). "Carnival's Christine Duffy: A leader who inspires the crew". seatrade-cruise.com. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- "The big interview – Christine Duffy". worldcruiseindustryreview.com. August 28, 2015. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- "Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy Earns "2018 Influential Business Women" Honors". carnival-news.com. May 11, 2018. Retrieved December 1, 2019.