Christleton High School
|Motto||We strive to be a happy, hardworking and courteous school|
|DfE URN||111421 Tables|
Christleton High School is a large academy school located in the small village of Christleton on the outskirts of Chester. Its current headmaster is Damian Stenhouse who is temporarily serving as headteacher until a suitable candidate is found. The school has specialist status in Maths and Computing with Business and Enterprise. It has its own sixth form and so offers A-Levels, amongst many other qualifications.
The current uniform for the school consists of a white shirt (or polo shirt during the summer term with the school crest), grey or black trousers or skirt, a tie, with blue, red and gold stripes (optional during the summer term) and a navy blue sweatshirt with the school crest. The sixth form have a more relaxed uniform, consisting of - for males - a top with collar (shirt or t-shirt) and any trousers excluding tracksuit bottoms, and for females - a sleeved top (that covers the shoulders) and any trousers or skirt again excluding tracksuit bottoms. Both sexes cannot wear tops with large logos or writing, or clothing that is obtrusive or impractical.
On site is Christleton Sports Centre, run by BRIO and formerly by Chester And District Sports And Recreation Trust (CADSART). The facilities include a sports hall, gym, squash court, dance room and a large outdoor floodlit court (suitable for tennis and football). A new Olympic sized swimming pool has recently been built. Pupils at the school are free to use these facilities either as part of their Physical education lessons or during breaks in lessons.
The school in the news
The school first made headlines in 2002 when former headteacher Geoff Lawson introduced an experiment aimed at helping nicotine-addicted pupils quit smoking. Fifteen-year-old pupils from the school were permitted two cigarette breaks a day under strict supervision of teachers. This policy no longer applies with smoking being forbidden on school grounds.
The school has been in the news numerous times for good exam results - both at GCSE level and A level - nearly always achieving above national average. In 2007 72% of GCSE grades were A*-C and 55% of A level grades were A or B.
The school's OFSTED inspection in June 2007, was a follow-up from a previous inspection (February 2006) in which the school was given notice to improve. In the first inspection the school was given the lowest possible grade (grade 4 - inadequate) for the overall effectiveness of the school. The Sixth Form was given a grade 3 (satisfactory).
In the re-inspection Ofsted found the school to have significantly improved, and gave it a grade 3 for overall effectiveness of the school, and grade 2 (good) for the Sixth Form.
The latest Ofsted inspection was in November 2014, which was also the first inspection since the school has become an academy. The school was given (1 - outstanding), and the sixth form provision achieving a (2 - good) score. 
Building work was completed on a large new block housing the maths department, connected to the school by a covered area (for use by junior pupils at break and lunch, etc.) and the swimming pool, described above. The library was also renovated, a number of new ICT facilities added and lots of the old furniture replaced. Although in 2010 Ofsted gave the school mostly 1's and some 2's, a big improvement.
The school has also finished a £750,000 renovation to the rear of the school, which was intended to revitalise and improve the energy efficiency of the building.
- Christleton High School's official website. Retrieval date: 20 September 2007.
- The Swan. Archived 2007-08-06 at the Wayback Machine. Christleton High School's Magazine. Retrieval Date: 20 September 2007.
- http://www.christletonhigh.co.uk/headteacher-appointment/82 Retrieval Date: 14 November 2016
- Christleton Sports Centre's official website. Archived 2007-04-25 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieval Date: 20 September 2007.
- BBC News article on smoking at the school. Retrieval Date: 20 September 2007.
- The school's results statistics. Government Schoolfinder website. Rewtrieval Date: 20 September 2007.
- Ofsted reports for the school. Archived 2007-10-21 at the Wayback Machine. Official Offsted website. Retrieval Date: 20 September 2007.[dead link]
- http://www.christletonhigh.co.uk/pdf/chs-ofsted-report-2014.pdf Retrieval Date: 03 March 2016
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2016-03-02. Retrieval Date: 03 March 2016