|The Flintstones episode|
|Episode no.||Season 5
|Directed by||Joseph Barbera
|Written by||Warren Foster|
|Original air date||December 25, 1964|
"Christmas Flintstone" (also known as How The Flintstones Saved Christmas on VHS releases) is a Christmas episode from season 5 of the animated television series The Flintstones, which aired on ABC on December 25, 1964. The episode is about Fred Flintstone taking over the role of Santa Claus.
The episode is followed by three Christmas-themed Flintstones specials. It has been released on DVD.
Fred gets a part-time job at Macyrock's department store in order to help finance the family's Christmas. Mr. Macyrock (voiced by Mel Blanc using his Mr. Spacely voice from The Jetsons) initially fires Fred for disobeying him, but when Mr. Macyrock's assistant tells him that their usual Santa Claus is sick, he instead rehires Fred to be Santa. During his stint as Macyrock's store Santa, Fred entertains the children and customers by singing "Christmas is My Fav'rite Time of Year" and "Dino the Dinosaur". Mr. Macyrock tells Fred that he is the best Santa that Macyrock's ever had.
On Christmas Eve, two of Santa's elves named Twinky and Blinky, both of whom are 385–420 years old, appear to Fred at Macyrock's during closing hours. They explain to Fred that the real Santa Claus is sick and ask him to substitute for Santa and deliver presents to children around the world. Throughout his journey to countries worldwide on Santa's sleigh, Fred shouts Christmas greetings in French, Italian, German, Dutch, English and Swedish and also sings a reprise of "Christmas is My Fav'rite Time of Year".
- Alan Reed – Fred Flintstone
- Jean Vander Pyl – Wilma Flintstone, Pebbles Flintstone, Customer
- Mel Blanc – Barney Rubble, Dino, Mr. Macyrock
- Gerry Johnson – Betty Rubble, Gift-wrapping Lady, Girl #1
- Don Messick – Bamm-Bamm Rubble, Kid #1, Reporter, Blinky
- Hal Smith – Santa Claus, Streetcrosser, Dinosaur
- Dick Beals – Kid #2, Twinky
- "Christmas is My Fav'rite Time of Year"
- "Dino the Dinosaur"
- "Christmas is My Fav'rite Time of Year" (reprise)
Turner Home Entertainment released the episode on VHS as How The Flintstones Saved Christmas. Warner Home Video released the episode on DVD in Region 1 on October 2, 2007, along with the 1994 special A Flintstones Christmas Carol.
"Christmas Flintstone" marked the first of four Christmas-themed The Flintstones animated works. It is followed by A Flintstone Christmas (1977), A Flintstone Family Christmas (1993) and A Flintstones Christmas Carol.
- William D. Crump, The Christmas Encyclopedia, Third ed., McFarland & Company Publishers, 2013, p. 185.
- "A Flintstones Christmas Carol". DVD Talk. Retrieved 11 December 2016.