Christmas in Our Hearts
|Christmas in Our Hearts|
|Studio album by|
|Released||November 17, 1990|
(See recording locations)
|Genre||Holiday, Adult Contemporary, Easy listening, Spiritual|
|Producer||Jose Mari Chan|
|Jose Mari Chan chronology|
25th Anniversary Edition cover
|Singles from Christmas in Our Hearts|
Christmas in Our Hearts is the seventh studio album and the first Christmas album by Filipino singer-songwriter and businessman Jose Mari Chan. It was released on November 17, 1990 by Universal Records. The album sold over 600,000 units in the Philippines in 2006, certifying Double Diamond by the Philippine Association of the Record Industry (PARI). It is considered to be the first OPM album to surpass the Diamond status. It is currently the biggest-selling album in the Philippines, selling more than 800,000 copies to date. Due to the recurring popularity of the song and album during the annual holiday season, Chan became known to Filipinos, as "The Father of Philippine Christmas Music."
The album also features cover versions of "A Christmas Carol", "This Beautiful Day" and "Christmas Children" from the 1970 musical Scrooge.
According to Chan, the title track and first single of the album, "Christmas in Our Hearts", was originally an arrangement titled Ang Tubig Ay Buhay ("Water Is Life"), based on a poem written by Chari Cruz-Zarate. He set the words to music, intending to make it a silver jubilee song for the Assumption High School Class of 1963. He described the poetry of Ang Tubig ay Buhay as very beautiful, which he found easy to compose a melody for.
It was a catchy, pretty melody, which I felt was too precious to use only for a Class Homecoming. So I decided to turn it into a Christmas song.
Before production started, Chan had attended Mass at the Santuario de San Antonio church in Forbes Park, Makati; when a young lyricist named Rina Cañiza knocked on his car window. Cañiza would later replace the poem with the lyrics of "Christmas in Our Hearts" as we know it today, using Chan's melody for Ang Tubig ay Buhay. Chan also contributed some words to the song upon its submission, wherein his record producer, Bella Dy Tan, gave her opinion that the song was not going to sell because it was a Christian song. Chan then came up with the song, "A Perfect Christmas", which Tan said would be a hit. However, when Chan played both songs at a press conference, the media and DJs singled out "Christmas in Our Hearts" as their favorite. Tan was astonished to observe that the public loved the song. "Christmas in Our Hearts" eventually became a runaway hit and remains one of the most played songs in public places all over the Philippines. 
Christmas in Our Hearts is the best-selling album not only by Chan, but by an Original Pilipino Music (OPM) artist to date. Just weeks after the album was released, it was certified triple platinum by the Philippine Association of the Record Industry (PARI) in 1990. In December 2006, it was awarded with a Double Diamond certification by the PARI on GMA Network's SOP (Sobrang Okey Pare) for selling more than 600,000 units in the Philippines. It makes Chan the only Filipino artist to achieve the feat, with two Double Diamond albums—the other one being Constant Change. It makes the album the best-selling OPM Christmas album of all time. In addition, it always tops album charts during Christmas season. The album has sold over 800,000 copies in the country to date.
25th Anniversary Edition
In celebration of the album's 25th anniversary, Universal Records announced on their Facebook page that Christmas in Our Hearts is to be re-released in a special 25th Anniversary Edition. It was first released online on iTunes, Spotify and Spinnr on October 30, 2015, and was released on CD on November 11, 2015.
All tracks were produced by Jose Mari Chan.
- "A Wish on Christmas Night" (Chan, Pinky Valdez)
- "Do You Hear What I Hear?" (N. Regney, G. Shayne)
- "Mary's Boy Child" (Jester Hairston)
- "Christmas in Our Hearts" (with Liza Chan) (Chan, Cañiza)
- "A Christmas Carol" (featuring the Ateneo Glee Club) (Leslie Bricusse)
- "A Perfect Christmas" (Chan)
- "Give Me Your Heart for Christmas" (Robert Goodman)
- "This Beautiful Day"—Jaymie Magtoto (Bricusse)
- "The Sound of Life" (Chan, Valdez)
- "Christmas Children" (Bricusse)
- "Little Christmas Tree" (Mickey Rooney)
- "When a Child Is Born" (Zacar-Jay)
- "It Is the Lord!" (Chan)
- "The Lord's Prayer" (Chan)
- "Count Your Blessings (Instead of Sheep)" (Irving Berlin)
- "May the Good Lord Bless and Keep You" (Meredith Willson)
25th Anniversary Edition bonus track
- "The Sound of Life (Instrumental)" (Louie Ocampo, Chan, Valdez)
- "Christmas Past" (Jose Mari Chan, Louie Ocampo)
Credits were taken from Titik Pilipino.
|Philippines||PARI||20× Platinum (2× Diamond)||800,000+|
- "List of PARI Gold, Platinum & Diamond Awardees". PARI. The Philippine Association of the Record Industry, Inc. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Double Diamond". Philippine Daily Inquirer. 10 March 2006. Archived from the original on 20 September 2012. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- "Numbers". Philippine Daily Inquirer. 18 December 2010. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- "More Fun Facts! Christmas Edition Day 8 (12-08)". Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- Ernie Pecho (14 September 2003). "Isang class jubilee song ang "Christmas In Our Hearts"". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- Bong Godinez (7 April 2008). "Filipino song composers of all time (Part 2)". pep.ph. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- "Jose Mari Chan's "Christmas In Our Hearts": The Best-Selling OPM Christmas Album Of All Time!". Universal Records official blog. 20 November 2009. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- Ernie Pecho (11 December 2005). "Ano ang pinaka-mabentang Christmas album na lokal?". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- "Christmas in Our Hearts - Jose Mari Chan". Titik Pilipino. Archived from the original on 6 August 2012. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- Christmas in Our Hearts on Titik Pilipino