Christmas in Hollis
|"Christmas in Hollis"|
|Single by Run-DMC|
|from the album A Very Special Christmas|
|Released||November 25, 1987|
|Genre||Hip hop, Comedy hip hop, Rap rock, Christmas music|
|Songwriter(s)||Joseph Simmons, Darryl McDaniels, Jason Mizell|
|Producer(s)||Rick Rubin, Run-DMC|
|Run-DMC singles chronology|
"Christmas in Hollis" is a single by Run-DMC that was included on two 1987 Christmas compilation albums featuring various artists: A Very Special Christmas (A&M 3911) and Christmas Rap (Profile 1247). When Bill Adler first asked Run-DMC to be involved with "A Very Special Christmas" they refused. After Bill gave the band the idea for "Christmas in Hollis" they changed their minds and agreed to be on the album. The track was produced by the group along with Rick Rubin and was originally released as a single in 1987 by A&M. In 2000, thirteen years after it was first released, it reached number 78 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.
The title refers to Hollis, the neighborhood in the New York City borough of Queens where the members of Run-DMC grew up. The track samples Clarence Carter's 1968 holiday song "Back Door Santa", as well as "Frosty the Snowman", "Jingle Bells", and "Joy to the World" and features a slide whistle.
"Christmas in Hollis" was included as a bonus track on the deluxe edition of Tougher Than Leather.
The music video for "Christmas in Hollis" takes place at The North Pole and in Hollis. At the end of the video Santa is seen flying away with his sled being pulled by a dog. The video was directed by Michael Holman with cinematography by Mark Richardson, both NYU film students at the time. "Christmas in Hollis" went on to win Rolling Stone's Best Video of the Year award in 1987, beating out Michael Jackson's "Bad" directed by Martin Scorsese.
In popular culture
- The song was used in the movies Less Than Zero (1987), Die Hard (1988), The Night Before (2015) and The Grinch (2018).
- It was also used in the TV shows The Office, Chuck, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Lip Sync Battle, Orange Is the New Black, Hindsight, The Simpsons, and How to Be Single.
- The song was used as part of UK catalogue retailers Argos Christmas 2014 campaign.
- The song was used in the 2015 and 2018 Christmas ads for the Nissan automobile lineup.
- "Christmas in Hollis"
- "Walk This Way"
- We talk Run-DMC’s “Christmas In Hollis” with DMC himself
- "Season 1 Episode 13 "Can't Fix Crazy"". OITNB music. Retrieved 8 January 2019.