5 December 1962|
Christof Loy (born 5 December 1962) is a German stage director especially for opera, whose work received several awards. A freelance director, he has staged operas from Baroque to premieres of new works at major European opera houses and festivals. He is known for directing works by Mozart.
Born in Essen, the son of architect Horst Loy and a translator, Loy began studies of opera directing at the Folkwangschule with Dieter Bülter-Marell at the age of 14. He received the Folkwang-Preis award for his first staged work, Pimpinone. He studied in Essen until 1982 and continued his studies at the Munich University, including science of the theatre, art history, and Italian studies. In 1984, Loy began work as an assistant at the Musiktheater im Revier, where he collaborated with Dietrich Hilsdorf and Jaroslav Chundela, among others. In 1986, he moved to the Staatstheater Wiesbaden, and since 1990 he has worked as a freelance director.
He made his debut at the Royal Opera House in 2002 with Ariadne auf Naxos, conducted by Antonio Pappano who was then the new music director. He also staged there Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor, Alban Berg's Lulu and Wagner's Tristan und Isolde. He directed Mussorgski's Khovanshchina at the Dutch National Opera, Handel's Alcina and Bellini's I Capuleti e i Montecchi at the Opernhaus Zürich, Verdi's Macbeth at the Grand Théâtre de Genève, Britten's Peter Grimes at the Theater an der Wien, Janáček's Jenůfa at the Deutsche Oper Berlin, Der Rosenkavalier by Richard Strauss at the Royal Swedish Opera, Mozart's Così fan tutte and Don Giovanni, and Arabella by Richard Strauss at the Frankfurt Opera, his Daphne at the Theater Basel, and Handel's Theodora for the Salzburg Festival. In 2017, he directed the premiere of Andrea Lorenzo Scartazzini's Edward II. at the Deutsche Oper Berlin.
- Claudio Monteverdi
- G. F. Handel
- W. A. Mozart
- La finta semplice (2006 Frankfurt Opera)
- La finta giardiniera (1998 Düsseldorf)
- Lucio Silla (Copenhagen Opera)
- Die Entführung aus dem Serail (1992 Freiburg, 1999 Brüssel, 2003 Frankfurt)
- Le nozze di Figaro (1998 Brussels)
- Don Giovanni (1999 Graz Opera, 2014 Frankfurt)
- Così fan tutte (2008 Frankfurt Opera)
- Die Zauberflöte (1990 Stuttgart, 2004 Deutsche Oper am Rhein)
- La clemenza di Tito (2006 Frankfurt)
- Gioachino Rossini
- Gaetano Donizetti
- Hector Berlioz
- Richard Wagner
- Giuseppe Verdi
- Jacques Offenbach
- Richard Strauss
- Andrea Lorenzo Scartazzini (* 1971)
- 1982: Folkwang-Preis
- 2001: Musikpreis of Duisburg
- 2003: Nomination Laurence Olivier Award
- 2003: Director of the Year (Regisseur des Jahres) by Opernwelt
- 2004: Director of the Year
- 2008: Director of the Year
- 2008: Der Faust for Così fan tutte at the Frankfurt Opera
- 2017: International Opera Awards as best opera director
- Erenz, Benedikt (21 November 2012). "Aida traf / Ein Zwanzigjähriger führt Opernregie". Die Zeit (in German). Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Christof Loy". Royal Opera House. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Christof Loy" (in German). Deutsche Oper Berlin. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- Lange, Joachim (31 May 2015). "Das Don-Giovanni-Syndrom – In Frankfurt inszeniert Christof Loy einen düster reflektierenden "Don Giovanni"". Neue Musikzeitung (in German). Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Scartazzinis Oper "Edward II." in Berlin / Uraufführung". Die Zeit (in German). 20 February 2017. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- "Der Faust 2008" (in German). Bühnenverein. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- Menzel, Gerhard (19 October 2001). "L'Orfeo" (in German). Online Musik Magazin. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Menzel, Gerhard (18 June 2003). "Il ritorno d'Ulisse in Patria" (in German). Online Musik Magazin. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Menzel, Gerhard (14 March 2004). "L'incoronazione di Poppea" (in German). Online Musik Magazin. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Spinola, Julia (30 July 2007). "Sinn und Sinnlichkeit". Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (in German). Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- Wittstock, Uwe (28 June 2006). "Mozarts "Finta semplice" in Frankfurt/M" (in German). Die Welt. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- "Inszenierungen" (in German). Christof Loy. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Hierholzer, Michael (17 October 2003). "Zwei Dreiecksbeziehungen: Christof Loy inszeniert Mozarts "Entführung aus dem Serail" in Frankfurt". Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (in German). Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Wurzel, Christoph (27 January 2006). "La clemenza di Tito" (in German). Online Musik Magazin. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Becker, Roberto (12 November 2009). "L'Orfeo" (in German). Online Musik Magazin. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- "Christof Loy" (in German). Deutsche Oper am Rhein. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- "Christof Loy" (in German). Frankfurt Opera. Retrieved 5 October 2017.