|David Vercruysse, CEO|
|Products||Tableware, jewelry and|
Number of employees
Christofle is a French manufacturer and retailer of high-end tableware, jewelry and home accessories. Founded in Paris by Charles Christofle in 1830, the company is known for making fine silverware. Christofle was acquired in 2012 by one of its shareholders, the Chalhoub family.
The company was established in 1830, when jeweler Charles Christofle (1805–1863) assumed management of a jewelry workshop belonging to his wife's family. The company introduced electrolytic gilding and silver plating to France in 1842. Among the company's product lines are silver picture frames, crystal vases and glassware, porcelain dinnerware, and silver jewelry and holloware.
In 1951, Christofle agreed with Ernest Cardeilhac to purchase the Cardeilhac firm's tools and patterns. The Cardeilhac firm had been founded in 1804 by Antoine-Vital Cardeilhac, who became a well-known silversmith in Paris.
During the 20th century, Christofle remained under the control and ownership of the founding family, which was represented in later years by Maurizio Borletti. The company was publicly traded until 1998, when Borletti and others took the firm private. In 2012, Christofle was bought by the Chalhoub family.
Christofle manufactures its products in France and in Brazil. The products are sold worldwide through 75 Pavillon Christofle retail stores, and also through 400 department stores and specialty shops.
Artists and designers such as the Parisian silversmith Antoine Perrin, Man Ray, Jean Cocteau, Gio Ponti, Andrée Putman, Martin Szekely, Ito Morabito (Ora-Ïto), Xiao Hui Wang and Richard Hutten are among those whose creations have been made by Christofle.
- Style on a Silver Platter, India Today, 2/28/08
- Rosenberg, David (2006). Christofle. Perseus Distribution Services. ISBN 9782843236570.
- de Ferrière Le Vayer, Marc (1995). Christofle, Deux siècles d'aventure industrielle, 1793-1993 (in French). Le Monde éditions, Silver industry. p. 456. ISBN 9782878991055.
- The History of Silver, Claude Blair, Ballantine Publishing Group, 1987
- Modern Art of Metalwork: Brohan-Museum Collection VI, Berlin, 2001
- (fr) Des cheminées dans la plaine: cent ans d'industrie à Saint-Denis, autour de Christofle (1830-1930), creaphis editions, 1998 - 203 pages, ISBN 9782907150859.
- (fr) Christofle le maître de l'argent, Le Point, 2010