Christoph von Marschall
Christoph von Marschall (born 1959) is a German journalist working for the daily Berlin newspaper Der Tagesspiegel. He is currently titled the diplomatic correspondent of the newspaper's editorial offices.
Christoph von Marschall was born in 1959 in Freiburg im Breisgau. From there, he studied Eastern European history and political science in Freiburg, Mainz, and Cracow, and earned a doctorate in Eastern European history from Freiburg University in 1988. Soon afterwards, he became a foreign correspondent in Hungary for the Süddeutsche Zeitung and remained in this job until 1991. While there, he also worked for the Deutschlandfunk radio service and the magazine Cicero. In 1999, Marschall was awarded a Kellen Fellowship that enabled him to spend one month working at The New Republic and a further month at The Wisconsin State Journal. 
In 2007, Marschall wrote a book about the presidential candidate Barack Obama, Barack Obama - Der schwarze Kennedy. The literal translation of its German title is "Barack Obama. The Black Kennedy". The book was a best seller in Germany, where other commentators had also compared Obama with John F. Kennedy.
In 2007 and 2008 Marschall covered the Obama campaign for the German newspaper Der Tagesspiegel. He was often interviewed in the American press about Obama's popularity in Europe. Towards the end of the campaign he wrote an op-ed column in The Washington Post in which he complained about the lack of access Obama had granted to foreign journalists.
His latest book, published in German in 2018, is titled "Wir verstehen die Welt nicht mehr. Deutschlands Entfremdung von seinen Freunden", and deals with current German foreign policy in relationship to its European and transatlantic allies.
- "Christoph von Marschall draws huge crowd for lecture on Barack Obama". Selected Events 2008. Consulate General of the United States in Frankfort. January 30, 2008. Archived from the original on 16 February 2009. Retrieved 18 December 2008.
- Lacher, Lisa (August 30, 2007). "Drake Lecture Series To Explore Americas Role In The World". Drake University News. Drake University. Archived from the original on 28 May 2010. Retrieved 18 December 2008.
- Photo of Christoph von Marschall with Obama
- Phillips, Dennis (January 30, 2008). "Barack Obama - The Black Kennedy?!". Rhein-Main for Obama Blog. my.barackobama.com. Retrieved 18 December 2008.
- Kulish, Nicholas (January 6, 2008). "Germany's Got a Crush on Obama". New York Times Politics Blog. Retrieved 18 December 2008.
- Available at Marschall, Christoph von (July 20, 2008). "Snubbed by Obama". The Washington Post. pp. B07. Retrieved 18 December 2008.
- Calderone, Michael (July 22, 2008). "Foreign press: All Obama, all the time". Politico.com. Retrieved 18 December 2008.