||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
Atkins attending the Bench Warmer Holiday Party at Empire, Hollywood, California on December 5, 2009
|Born||Christopher Atkins Bomann
February 21, 1961
Rye, New York, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Lyn Barron (m. 1985 - 2007), divorced|
|Children||Son (b. 1985)
Daughter (b. 1987)
He had no previous interest or experience in acting, but an agent he knew persuaded him to audition for The Blue Lagoon, a role he won over 2,000 other actors. In the film, he and co-star Brooke Shields played two teenage cousins who have lived alone together since they were marooned as children in a tropical paradise, eventually falling in love. The film grossed over $58 million with a production cost of $4.5 million.
He went on to star with Kristy McNichol in The Pirate Movie (1982), an update of Gilbert and Sullivan's operetta The Pirates of Penzance. He hit #71 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart with the song "How Can I Live Without Her?", which appeared in The Pirate Movie.
In A Night in Heaven (1983), also starring Lesley Ann Warren, Atkins played Rick Monroe, an outspoken and overconfident student working his way through college as a male stripper. For one season (1983–1984), Atkins had a recurring role as swimming instructor Peter Richards on the CBS prime time soap opera Dallas in which his character has an affair with Sue Ellen Ewing.
Atkins has been the cover boy of many teen magazines and has appeared in several television commercials representing Coke and Adidas.
In the 1990s and 2000s, he appeared in the made-for-network and cable movies Fatal Charms, Project Shadowchaser III and Angel Flight Dawn. Other projects includef Caved In, Spiritual Warriors, 13th Child, The Employee of the Month, Tequila Express, Quigley and True Legends of the West. Comic roles include Mortuary Academy (1988), Shoot (1992) and he reunited with Shields on her series Suddenly Susan as a fellow journalist who is uninterested in her.
He owns an outdoor sports company and has patented a fishing lure.
Atkins was nominated for a Golden Globe Awards for New Star of the Year in a Motion Picture – Male for The Blue Lagoon as well as Best Young Actor for the Young Artist Awards.
He is ranked Number 76 on VH1's 100 Greatest Teen Stars.
- The Blue Lagoon (1980) as Richard Lestrange
- Child Bride of Short Creek (1981) (TV) as Isaac King
- Swan Lake (1982) (voice) as Prince Siegfried
- The Pirate Movie (1982) as Frederic
- Aladdin and the Magic Lamp (1982) (voice) as Aladdin
- A Night in Heaven (1983) as Rick Monroe (also known as Ricky The Rocket)
- Dallas (1978) TV Series as Peter Richards (1983–1984)
- Secret Weapons (1985) as Allan Collier
- El ataque de los pájaros, also known as Evil Birds and Beaks: The Movie (1987) as Peter
- Mortuary Academy (1988) as Max Grimm
- Listen to Me (1989) as Bruce Arlington
- Shakma (1990) as Sam
- Fatal Charm (1990) as Adam
- King's Ransom (1991) as Spence
- Extralarge: Miami Killer (1991) as Blake
- Wet and Wild Summer! (1992) as Bobby McCain
- Dracula Rising (1993) as Vlad
- Die Watching (1993) as Michael Terrence
- Dispara! (1993) as Spence
- Trigger Fast (1994) as Dusty Fog
- Signal One, also known as Bullet Down Under (1994) as Martin Bullet
- Guns of Honor (1994) as Dusty Fog
- Bandit Goes Country (1994) as Johnny Bruce
- Smoke n Lightnin (1995) as Lightnin'
- Project Shadowchaser III (1995) as Snake
- Red Shoe Diaries 13: Four on the Floor (1996) (segment "Four on the Floor")
- It's My Party (1996) as Jack Allen
- Dead Man's Island (1996) as Roger Prescott
- Angel Flight Down (1996) as Jack Bahr
- Mutual Needs (1997) as Andrew
- Shoot (1998) as Spence
- The Little Unicorn (1998) as PC Sid Edwards
- Lima: Breaking the Silence (1998) as Jeff
- Deadly Delusions (1999) as Sam Gitlin
- Stageghost (2000) as Matthew Bronson
- Dark Realm (2000) (TV Series)
- Civility (2000) as John Cade
- Title to Murder (2001) as Paul Shaughnessy
- Tequila Express (2002) as David Manning
- The Stoneman (2002) as Kip Hollings
- Mending Fences (2002) as Tom
- The Employee of the Month (2002) as Bill
- The Color of Water (2002) as Clay
- 13th Child (2002) as Ron
- Quigley (2003) as Woodward
- True Legends of the West (2003) as Theodore Sutherland
- The Librarians (a.k.a. Strike Force) (2004) as Ringo
- Caved In: Prehistoric Terror (2005) (TV) as John Palmer
- Spiritual Warriors (2005) as King of Sparta
- 100 Million BC (2007) as Erik Reno
- Hidden (2008) as Walter
- I Am Somebody: No Chance in Hell (2008) (original title: Chinaman's Chance) as Jacob
- Forget Me Not (2008) as Mr. Channing
- Confessions of a Teen Idol (2009)
- Exodus Fall (2009) as Wayne Minor
- Gathering of Heroes: Legend of the Seven Swords (2009) as Garrik Grayraven
- The Hard Ride (2009) as George Custer
- Prism (2009) as Detective Shane Dover
- The Earth Empires: Ottoman Invasion (2010) as jannisery Commander Murat of the Dark
- Harley's Hill (2011) as Mr. Miller, the father of Sara, a young girl determined to turn a runaway horse into a prized thoroughbred
- Blue Lagoon: The Awakening (2012) as Mr. Christiansen
- Waiting in the Wings: The Musical (2014) as Priest
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Christopher Atkins.|