Christopher Bronk Ramsey
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (August 2016)|
Christopher Bronk Ramsey is a British physicist, mathematician and specialist in radiocarbon dating. He is a professor at the University of Oxford and is the incumbent Director of the Oxford Radiocarbon Accelerator Unit (ORAU), a post he has held since 2003. He is a member of Merton College, Oxford and a Bodley Fellow. His doctorate, completed in 1987, included the first successful implementation of carbon dioxide gas as a target for radiocarbon dating via accelerator mass spectrometry.
In the early 1990s, Bronk Ramsey became interested in the application of Bayesian statistics to the analysis of radiocarbon data. In 1994, he authored OxCal, an online radiocarbon calibration program. Bronk Ramsey has made significant contributions to various chronological issues, including the Minoan eruption of Thera, the British Neolithic, the dispersal of modern humans out of Africa and the Egyptian chronology.  His research interests also include the improvement of the radiocarbon calibration record. He is a member of the International Calibration (IntCal) group. His recent work has focused on improving the radiocarbon calibration record and synthesizing radiocarbon data with other chronometric information. In October 2012, Bronk Ramsey published the first wholly terrestrial radiocarbon calibration record extending back to the limit of the technique.
- Bronk Ramsey, C.; Staff, RA; Bryant, CL; Brock, F; Kitagawa, H; der Plicht, J; Schlolaut, G; Marshall, MH; Brauer, A; et al. (2012). "A Complete Terrestrial Radiocarbon Record for 11.2 to 52.8 kyr B.P". Science. 338 (6105): 370–374. PMID 23087245. doi:10.1126/science.1226660.
- Bronk Ramsey, C; Dee, MW; Rowland, JM; Higham, TFG; Harris, SA; Brock, F; Quiles, A; Wild, EM; Marcus, E. S.; Shortland, A. J.; et al. (2010). "Radiocarbon-based Chronology for Dynastic Egypt". Science. 328 (5985): 1554–1557. PMID 20558717. doi:10.1126/science.1189395.
- Bronk Ramsey, C. (2009). "Bayesian analysis of radiocarbon dates". Radiocarbon. 51 (1): 337–360.
- Bronk Ramsey, C. (2008). "Deposition models for chronological records". Quaternary Science Reviews. 27 (1–2): 42–60. doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2007.01.019.
- Bayliss, A; Bronk Ramsey, C; der Plicht, J; Whittle, A. (2007). "Bradshaw and Bayes: Towards a Timetable for the Neolithic, Cambridge". Archaeological Journal. 17 (1): 1–28. doi:10.1017/s0959774307000145.
- Gravina, B; Mellars, P; Bronk Ramsey, C. (2005). "Radiocarbon Dating of Interstratified Neanderthal and Early Modern Human Occupations at the Chatelperronian Type-site". Nature. 438 (7064): 51–56. PMID 16136079. doi:10.1038/nature04006.
- Bronk Ramsey, C. (1995). "Radiocarbon calibration and analysis of stratigraphy: The OxCal program". Radiocarbon. 37 (2): 425–430.
- "New director and deputy director for ORAU". Oxford Radiocarbon Accelerator Unit News. University of Oxford. 2003-10-01. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "Prof Christopher Ramsey". University of Oxford. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "Emeritus, Visiting and Honorary Fellows at Merton College, Oxford". Merton College, Oxford. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "Prof Christopher Ramsey". Merton College, Oxford. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "Accelerator mass spectrometry for radiocarbon dating: Advances in theory and practice". The British Library. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- Telford RJ, Heegaard E, Birks HJ (2004), "The Intercept is a Poor Estimate of a Calibrated Radiocarbon Age", Holocene, 14: 296–298
- Adam Michczynski; Anna Pazdur (2003). "The Method of Combining Radiocarbon Dates and Other Information in Application to Study the Chronologies of Archaeological Sites" (PDF). Geochronometria - Journal on Methods and Applications of Absolute Chronology. 22: 41. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- Manning SW, Ramsey CB, Kutschera W, Higham T, Kromer B, Steier P, et al. (2006). "Chronology for the Aegean Late Bronze Age 1700-1400 B.C.". Science. 312 (5773): 565–9. PMID 16645092. doi:10.1126/science.1125682.
- Bayliss, Alex; Bronk Ramsey, Christopher; van der Plicht, Johannes; Whittle, Alasdair (2007). "Bradshaw and Bayes: Towards a Timetable for the Neolithic". Cambridge Archaeological Journal. 17 (S1): 1. ISSN 0959-7743. doi:10.1017/S0959774307000145.
- Gravina B, Mellars P, Bronk Ramsey C (2005). "Radiocarbon Dating of Interstratified Neanderthal and Early Modern Human Occupations at the Chatelperronian Type-site". Nature. 438 (7064): 51–56. PMID 16136079. doi:10.1038/nature04006.
- Bhanoo, Sindya N. (21 June 2010). "Pharaohs Are Given an Update". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "QSR: Most cited Articles".
- "New Scientist: Lake Bed".