|Born||Christopher Boyce Burge
May 26, 1968 
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
Searle Scholar Award
|Institutions||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Thesis||Identification of genes in human genomic DNA (1997)|
|Doctoral advisor||Samuel Karlin|
Christopher Boyce Burge is Professor of Biology and Biological Engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Burge completed his Bachelor of Science at Stanford University in 1990, and continued graduate studies in computational biology at Stanford University, gaining his PhD in 1997 under the supervision of Samuel Karlin. During his time at Stanford he was responsible for developing algorithms for GENSCAN used in gene prediction for example the initial analysis of the Human Genome Project. His PhD thesis was titled Identification of genes in human genomic DNA.
From 1997 to 1999 Burge worked as a postdoc in the laboratory of Phillip Allen Sharp, working in the fields of RNA splicing and molecular evolution. Burge joined the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1999 as a Bioinformatics Fellow. He became Assistant Professor in 2002, Associate Professor in 2004, was tenured in 2006, and was promoted to full Professor in 2010. He has been an Associate Member of the Broad Institute since 2004. His current research interests include genomics, RNA splicing and microRNA regulation.
In 2001 he was awarded the Overton Prize for Computational Biology by the International Society for Computational Biology. He was awarded a Searle Scholar Award in 2003 for his research in the computational biology of gene expression. In 2007 he was awarded the Schering-Plough Research Institute Award (now known as the ASBMB Young Investigator Award) by the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology for his outstanding research contributions to biochemistry and molecular biology.
- http://genes.mit.edu/burgelab/CBurgeCV.pdf Christopher Burge CV
- Burge, Christopher; Karlin, Samuel (1997). "Prediction of complete gene structures in human genomic DNA" (PDF). Journal of Molecular Biology. 268 (1): 78–94. PMID 9149143. doi:10.1006/jmbi.1997.0951. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-06-20.
- Burge, C.; Karlin, S. (1998). "Finding the genes in genomic DNA" (PDF). Current Opinion in Structural Biology. 8 (3): 346–354. PMID 9666331. doi:10.1016/S0959-440X(98)80069-9.[permanent dead link]
- http://www.iscb.org/iscb-awards/overton-prize Overton prize winners
- "Searle Scholars Program: Christopher Burge (2003)". Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- Christopher Burge at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Burge, Christopher Boyce (2012). Identification of genes in human genomic DNA (PhD thesis). Stanford University.
- Lander, E. S.; Linton, M.; Birren, B.; Nusbaum, C.; Zody, C.; Baldwin, J.; Devon, K.; Dewar, K.; Doyle, M.; Fitzhugh, W.; Funke, R.; Gage, D.; Harris, K.; Heaford, A.; Howland, J.; Kann, L.; Lehoczky, J.; Levine, R.; McEwan, P.; McKernan, K.; Meldrim, J.; Mesirov, J. P.; Miranda, C.; Morris, W.; Naylor, J.; Raymond, C.; Rosetti, M.; Santos, R.; Sheridan, A.; et al. (Feb 2001). "Initial sequencing and analysis of the human genome". Nature. 409 (6822): 860–921. ISSN 0028-0836. PMID 11237011. doi:10.1038/35057062.
- Burge, C.; Padgett, R.; Sharp, P. (1998). "Evolutionary fates and origins of U12-type introns". Molecular Cell. 2 (6): 773–785. PMID 9885565. doi:10.1016/S1097-2765(00)80292-0.
- Rhoades, M. W.; Reinhart, B. J.; Lim, L. P.; Burge, C. B.; Bartel, B.; Bartel, D. P. (2002). "Prediction of Plant MicroRNA Targets". Cell. 110 (4): 513–520. PMID 12202040. doi:10.1016/S0092-8674(02)00863-2.
- Christopher Burge's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database, a service provided by Elsevier. (subscription required)
- http://www.biomedexperts.com/Profile.bme/172484/Christopher_B_Burge Chris Burge profile in BiomedExperts
- Lewis, B. P.; Burge, C. B.; Bartel, D. P. (2005). "Conserved Seed Pairing, Often Flanked by Adenosines, Indicates that Thousands of Human Genes are MicroRNA Targets". Cell. 120 (1): 15–20. PMID 15652477. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2004.12.035.
- Lewis, B. P.; Shih, I. H.; Jones-Rhoades, M. W.; Bartel, D. P.; Burge, C. B. (2003). "Prediction of Mammalian MicroRNA Targets". Cell. 115 (7): 787–98. PMID 14697198. doi:10.1016/S0092-8674(03)01018-3.
- "ASBMB Young Investigator Award formerly the ASBMB Schering-Plough Research Institute Award". Retrieved 10 August 2015.