Christopher C. Horner
Christopher C. Horner is an attorney in Washington, D.C. and a Senior Fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute who opposes the mainstream view of climate change and has been prominent in promoting climate change denial. He is the author of three books disputing the scientific evidence for man-made global warming. Horner had a financial relationship with coal companies who provided him with funds. Horner has been criticized for hounding climate scientists with frivolous requests for documentation and emails.
Horner has represented CEI as well as Members of the U.S. House and Senate on matters of environmental policy in the federal courts, including the Supreme Court. He has written on numerous topics in publications such as law reviews, legal and industrial trade journals, and opinion pages. He is the author of four books.
- The Liberal War on Transparency (2012)
- Power Grab: How Obama's Green Policies Will Steal Your Freedom and Bankrupt America (2010)
- Red Hot Lies: How Global Warming Alarmists Use Threats, Fraud, and Deception to Keep You Misinformed (2008)
- The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming (and Environmentalism) (2007)
Horner has testified before the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations and the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, and works on a legal and policy level with numerous think tanks and policy organizations throughout the world. He has given numerous addresses to audiences in the European Parliament in Strasbourg and Brussels, and before policymakers in European capitals including London, Rome, Prague, Copenhagen, Madrid, and Warsaw; topics range from rail deregulation and unfunded pension liability to energy and environment issues. He has provided legal, policy, and political commentary several hundred times each on both television and radio, in the United States, Europe, Canada, and Australia, including on the Fox News Channel, Court TV, MSNBC (with repeat visits on The News Hour with Jim Lehrer), BBC, CNN, CNN International, ITN, CBC, Bloomberg, and Reuters Television.
Horner "has been instrumental in orchestrating the attacks on climate scientists over the past decade in the form of vexatious and frivolous FOIA demands, efforts to force scientists to turn over all of their personal email," said Michael Mann, a climate scientist targeted by Horner.
Coal company support
In 2015, bankruptcy court documents for the coal company Alpha Natural Resources revealed Horner was privately funded by grants sent to his home address. In early June 2015, the Coal & Investment Leadership Forum, a trade show, sent a message to its email list confirming coal industry support of Horner:
As the ‘war on coal’ continues, I trust that the commitment we have made to support Chris Horner’s work will eventually create great awareness of the illegal tactics being employed to pass laws that are intended to destroy our industry.
The email was signed by Alliance Resource Partners Joe Craft III, Alpha Natural Resources Kevin Crutchfield, Drummond Company's Gary Drummond, Arch Coal's John Eaves and United Coal Co.'s Jim McGlothlin.
- List of The Daily Show guests (2007) (interviewed about The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming and Environmentalism) 
- Dunlap, R. E.; Jacques, P. J. (2013). "Climate Change Denial Books and Conservative Think Tanks: Exploring the Connection". American Behavioral Scientist. SAGE. 57 (6): 699–731. doi:10.1177/0002764213477096. PMC . Retrieved 17 March 2017. (pdf)
- Lee Fang (August 25, 2015). "Attorney Hounding Climate Scientists Is Covertly Funded By Coal Industry". The Intercept. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- Lindsay Abrams (August 26, 2015). "Exposed: Shameless climate denial, brought to you by Big Coal". Salon. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- "New York Times Bestsellers: paperback nonfiction - 11 March 2007". New York Times Bestseller list. March 11, 2007. Retrieved August 26, 2015. (first week on list)
- "New York Times Bestsellers: paperback nonfiction - 07 October 2007". New York Times Bestseller list. October 7, 2007. Retrieved August 26, 2015. (last week on list)
- Christopher Horner (June 24, 2002). "Statement Of Christopher C. Horner To The Joint Hearing Of The Senate Committees On Foreign Relations And Environment And Public Works". senate.gov. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- Michael Halpern (February 2015). "Freedom to Bully" (PDF). Union of Concerned Scientists. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- Patrick Fitzgerald (October 15, 2015). "Alpha Natural Discloses Payments to Climate Change Skeptic Chris Horner". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved October 16, 2015.
- Christopher C Horn (February 13, 2007). "Interview". The Daily Show. Retrieved August 26, 2015.