This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The Right Reverend|
|Bishop of Southwark|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Southwark|
|Other posts||Bishop for Urban Life and Faith (2009–present)|
area Bishop of Woolwich (2005–2011)
|Ordination||3 July 1983 (deacon) |
by Conrad Meyer
1 July 1984 (priest)
by Patrick Rodger
|Consecration||21 April 2005|
by Rowan Williams
|Born||5 August 1956|
Hampton, Middlesex, United Kingdom
|Residence||Bishop's House, Streatham|
|Alma mater||University College, Oxford|
Early life and education
Made a deacon at Petertide 1983 (3 July) by Conrad Meyer, Bishop of Dorchester, at Dorchester Abbey and ordained a priest the following Petertide (1 July 1984) by Patrick Rodger, Bishop of Oxford, at Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford, he served curacies at St Michael and All Angels Sandhurst and St Mary's Portsea and was then successively a chaplain at St Paul's Cathedral, London, rector of St Dunstan's, Stepney, Archdeacon of Northolt (2001–2005). He was appointed Bishop of Woolwich and consecrated a bishop on 21 April 2005. He is a passionate advocate of overseas church links and has an identical twin brother.
Having served as the area Bishop of Woolwich for over five years the bishopric of Southwark was confirmed before a congregation at St Mary-le-Bow, Cheapside on 17 January 2011. His Southwark Cathedral enthronement took place on 6 March 2011.
In March 2011 he began public ministry as the 10th Bishop of Southwark. He is a strong advocate for the parish system as the most effective means of church presence and engagement in the life of local communities, including the need to proclaim the Gospel afresh amid the rapid changes in church and community life. As Bishop of Southwark, his residence is Bishop's House, Streatham.
Chessun is also the lead Bishop for Urban Life and Faith for the Church of England. This offers him an opportunity to contribute to debates and discussions on the importance of the churches' contribution to urban and public policy within society. In 2012, a number of Evangelicals criticised him for the appointment of Liberal Catholics to his leadership team.
In May 2011, the Church of England declared that three members of the diocese participating in the Anglican Mission in England, ordained in Kenya, were in an impaired state of communion with Chessun due to a conflict of views on homosexuality. These "irregular" clergy would have to seek other bishops to ordain their candidates. His views are similar to those of his predecessor, Tom Butler, who appointed Chessun as Bishop of Woolwich.
- The Reverend Christopher Chessun (1983–2001)
- The Venerable Christopher Chessun (2001–2005)
- The Right Reverend Christopher Chessun (2005–present)
- "Tenth Bishop of Southwark is Announced". Diocese of Southwark. Archived from the original on 11 March 2012.
- Chessun, Christopher Thomas James. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2017 (November 2016 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Ordinations (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#6282). 8 July 1983. p. 15. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 10 June 2017. (Subscription required (help)).
- "Petertide ordinations (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#6334). 6 July 1984. p. 4. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 10 June 2017. (Subscription required (help)).
- Debrett's People of Today London, Debrett's, 2008 ISBN 978-1-870520-95-9
- "(picture caption) (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#7402). 21 January 2005. p. 4. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 10 June 2017. (Subscription required (help)).
- Diocese of Southwark — Bishops' biographical notes (Accessed 10 June 2017)
- "Election confirmed of Tenth Bishop of Southwark". Diocese of Southwark. Archived from the original on 26 March 2012. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Christopher Thomas James Chessun". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Evangelicals in Uproar Over Southwark Liberal Appointments". Anglican Mainstream. Archived from the original on 21 February 2013.
- "CoMission – Reaching London for Christ". Co-mission.org.uk. 24 April 2017. Retrieved 5 June 2017.
- "New Bishop of Woolwich". Diocese of Southwark. Archived from the original on 4 February 2005.
|Church of England titles|
| Bishop of Woolwich
| Bishop of Southwark