15 April 1956 |
Belfast, Northern Ireland
|Alma mater||University of York
University of Oxford
|Notable awards||Fellow of the Royal Society|
Christopher Dye FRS, FMedSci is Director of Strategy in the Office of the Director General at the World Health Organization. From 2006 to 2009 he was the Gresham Professor of Physic in the City of London, and is also a Visiting Professor of Zoology at the University of Oxford.
Chris Dye began professional life as an ecologist in the UK, having been awarded a first-class degree in biology from the University of York and a DPhil in zoology from the University of Oxford. After developing an interest in infectious diseases at Imperial College London, he moved to the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine to bring his research closer to public health. He was head of the School’s Vector Biology and Epidemiology Unit until 1996, carrying out research on leishmaniasis, malaria, rabies and other infectious and zoonotic diseases in Africa, Asia and South America.
In 1996, he joined the World Health Organization where he has developed methods for using national surveillance and survey data to study the large-scale dynamics and control of tuberculosis (TB) and other communicable diseases. Working with governments and other agencies he is continuously engaged in the process of translating science into health policy. From 2006–2009, he was Professor of Physic at Gresham College, 35th in a lineage of professors that have been giving public lectures in the City of London since 1597. He is Epidemiology Advisor to the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (as 戴诗磊), a Visiting Professor of Zoology at the University of Oxford, and a member of the Board of Reviewing Editors for Science.
Honours and Awards
- Dye, C.; Williams, B. G. (2009). "Slow Elimination of Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis". Science Translational Medicine. 1 (3): 3ra8. PMID 20368167. doi:10.1126/scitranslmed.3000346.
- Granich, R. M.; Gilks, C. F.; Dye, C.; De Cock, K. M.; Williams, B. G. (2009). "Universal voluntary HIV testing with immediate antiretroviral therapy as a strategy for elimination of HIV transmission: A mathematical model". The Lancet. 373 (9657): 48–57. PMID 19038438. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(08)61697-9.
- Global Tuberculosis Control: Surveillance, Planning, Financing. World Health Organization, 12 volumes 1997-2008.
- Dye, C.; Williams, B. G. (2010). "The Population Dynamics and Control of Tuberculosis". Science. 328 (5980): 856–861. PMID 20466923. doi:10.1126/science.1185449.
- Dye, C. (2012). "National and international policies to mitigate disease threats". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 367 (1604): 2893–2900. PMC . PMID 22966144. doi:10.1098/rstb.2011.0373.
- Dye, C.; Glaziou, P.; Floyd, K.; Raviglione, M. (2012). "Prospects for Tuberculosis Elimination". Annual Review of Public Health. 34: 121217115642006. doi:10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031912-114431.
- World Health Organization (2013). Research for Universal Health Coverage. The World Health Report 2013.
- Dye, C. (2014). "After 2015: Infectious diseases in a new era of health and development". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 369 (1645): 20130426. PMC . PMID 24821913. doi:10.1098/rstb.2013.0426.
- "Ebola Virus Disease in West Africa — the First 9 Months of the Epidemic and Forward Projections". New England Journal of Medicine. 371 (16): 140922210513002. 2014. PMC . PMID 25244186. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1411100.
- Dye, C. (2015) The Population Biology of Tuberculosis. Princeton University Press (http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10525.html).
- Broutet, N; Krauer, F; Riesen, M; Khalakdina, A; Almiron, M; Aldighieri, S; Espinal, M; Low, N; Dye, C (2016). "Zika Virus as a Cause of Neurologic Disorders". New England Journal of Medicine. 374: 1506–9. PMID 26959308. doi:10.1056/NEJMp1602708.
- "After Ebola in West Africa — Unpredictable Risks, Preventable Epidemics". New England Journal of Medicine. 375: 587–596. 2016. PMID 27509108. doi:10.1056/NEJMsr1513109.
- http://royalsociety.org/people/christopher-dye/ Dr Christopher Dye FMedSci FRS
- "The Royal Society".
- "Royal Society of Biology".
- "Academy of Medical Sciences".
- "Tuberculosis". www.who.int. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "World Health Report". www.who.int. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- "PubMed – Author's Articles". www.pubmed.gov. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "Google Scholar Citations".
- "BBC In Our Time". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Gresham College". www.gresham.ac.uk. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Emerging Powers Going Global". britac.ac.uk. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Videos on royalsociety.tv". royalsociety.org. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- "American Association for the Advancement of Science". AAAS. Retrieved 2016-03-26.