Christopher Edley Jr.
|Dean of the University of California, Berkeley School of Law|
|Preceded by||Bob Berring (Acting)|
|Succeeded by||Gillian Lester (Acting)|
Christopher Fairfield Edley Jr.
January 13, 1953
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Education||Swarthmore College (BA)|
Harvard University (JD)
Christopher Fairfield Edley Jr. (born January 13, 1953) was the Dean of the University of California, Berkeley School of Law from 2004 to 2013. He serves as President of the Opportunity Institute, an organization he co-founded with Hillary Clinton advisor Ann O'Leary.
Edley has been a leading figure in Democratic policy circles for four decades, serving as a senior member of five presidential campaigns, as an economic policy and budget official under Presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton, and as a chair of the Obama-Biden transition team. In 2011 he was appointed by U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan as co-chair of the congressionally chartered National Commission on Equity and Excellence in Education.
After receiving his undergraduate degree in mathematics from Swarthmore College he attended Harvard Law School, where he later served as a professor, teaching Administrative Law and founding the Harvard Civil Rights Project. He served as an advisor to President Clinton's One America Initiative, was a member of the United States Commission on Civil Rights, and chaired President Clinton's 1998 Affirmative Action Review. In the 2008 presidential election, he supported and advised candidate Barack Obama, one of his former students at Harvard Law School. He was elected to the Common Cause National Governing Board in 2010. On August 16, 2013, he announced his intention to resign as Berkeley Law dean, effective December 31, 2013.
- Edley, Christopher Jr. (1998). Not All Black and White: Affirmative Action and American Values. Farrar, Straus and Giroux. ISBN 0-374-52541-2.
- Administrative Law: Rethinking Judicial Control of Bureaucracy
- Who's Who Among African Americans. Gale / Cengage Learning. 2003-05-01. ISBN 9780787659158.
- "Berkeley Law - Faculty Profiles". UC Berkeley School of Law. Retrieved May 21, 2014.
- "Dean Edley to Help Obama with White House Transition - Berkeley Law". Berkeley Law. Retrieved 2016-02-24.
- "Christopher Edley Jr". Alliance For Excellent Education. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2016-02-24.
- "Christopher Edley Jr". The Opportunity Institute. Retrieved 2016-03-04.
- Bazelon, Emily (2007-11-26) On the Advice of Counsel, Slate.com