This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Alan Ronald Miller|
12 July 1943
Chicago, Illinois, US
9 February 2008 (aged 64)|
Scottsdale, Arizona, US
|Cause of death||Cancer|
|Known for||Writings on the occult|
Christopher Hyatt (12 July 1943 – 9 February 2008), born Alan Ronald Miller, was an American occultist, author, and founder of the Extreme Individual Institute (EII). He is best known as president of New Falcon Publications.
A native of Chicago, Alan Miller, the son of police lieutenant Leonard Miller and his wife, Bertha Freidman, was born during what he described as the "roaring war years". Writing and speaking as Christopher Hyatt, he gave two different accounts of the end of his high school career. In the first account, he claimed that he dropped out of high school at the age of sixteen, working instead as a dishwasher and cook, roaming around the United States.
Hyatt's interest in the occult began in his early twenties. His desire to further pursue his studies in magick resulted in meeting Israel Regardie in Studio City in the 1970s. Regardie introduced Hyatt to Reichian therapy, which he insisted Hyatt learn prior to any magical pursuits. Regardie further instructed Hyatt in the magical system of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. Hyatt was a Ninth Degree member of the occult Order Ordo Templi Orientis, and he co-founded with David Cherubim the Thelemic Order of the Golden Dawn in Los Angeles on the Vernal Equinox of 1990.
Hyatt was trained in experimental and clinical psychology and practiced as a psychotherapist for many years. As Alan Miller, he used the 18 units earned from his military GED towards his first academic career at Los Angeles City College, where he studied accounting for two years. He later changed his graduate to General Psychology, earning Masters Degrees in experimental psychology and medical education and Counseling. He was a member of a Freudian clinic in Southern California. He spent almost a year studying hypnosis at the Hypnosis Motivation Institute in Los Angeles and also studied hypnosis at the University of California, Irvine. Miller possessed Ph.D.s in both clinical psychology and human behavior and was a Postdoctoral researcher in Criminal Justice. Some of his techniques blended Reichian physiotherapy and tantric yoga. He also incorporated hypnosis alongside his bodywork with patients and students. According to his website: "He left academia and state sponsored psychology to become an explorer of the human mind."
- Undoing Yourself with Energized Meditation and Other Devices. (2010). New Falcon Publications; 5th revised edition. ISBN 1561840572
- Pacts with the Devil: A Chronicle of Sex, Blasphemy & Liberation, with S. Jason Black. (2010). The Original Falcon Press. ISBN 193515026X
- The Psychopath's Bible: For the Extreme Individual, edited by Nicholas Tharcher (2011). The Original Falcon Press; 2nd edition. ISBN 1935150324
- Urban Voodoo: A Beginners Guide to Afro-Caribbean Magic, with S. Jason Black. (2011). New Falcon Publications; 1st edition. ISBN 1561840599
- Lucifer's Rebellion: A Tribute to Christopher S. Hyatt, edited with a foreword by Shelley Marmor. (2011). New Falcon Publications. ISBN 1561840319
Notes and references
- Hyatt, Christopher; Zehm Aloim. The Magic of Israel Regardie. New Falcon Publishing. ISBN 1-56184-230-3.
- Hymenaeus Beta (2008-02-12). "Alan Ronald Miller, Ph.D., IX° O.T.O. (1943-2008)". Ordo Tempi Orientis International Headquarters. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- Greer, John Michael (2003). The New Encyclopedia of the Occult. Llewellyn Worldwide. p. 205. ISBN 978-1-56718-336-8.
Several of these new Golden Dawn orders were created by friends and students of Regardie in the United States.... [A]nother emerged in Arizona under the leadership of Christopher Hyatt.
- Hyatt, Christopher; S. Jason Black; Zehm Aloim; Israel Regardie. Techniques for Undoing Yourself. New Falcon Publishing. ISBN 1-56184-280-X.