Alan Ronald Miller
12 July 1943
Chicago, Illinois, US
|Died||9 February 2008 (aged 64)|
|Known for||Writings on the occult|
Christopher Hyatt (12 July 1943 – 9 February 2008), born Alan Ronald Miller, was an American psychologist, occultist, and writer. He is perhaps best known as president of New Falcon Publications, an independent publisher specializing in of psychedelic and occult literature; Hyatt's press published work by several well-known champions of consciousness expansion, including Israel Regardie, Timothy Leary, Robert Anton Wilson, and Antero Alli.
A native of Chicago, Alan Miller, the son of police lieutenant Leonard Miller and his wife, Bertha Freidman, was born during what he described as the "roaring war years". Writing and speaking as Christopher Hyatt, Miller claimed to have dropped out of high school at the age of sixteen, working instead as a dishwasher and cook, roaming the United States. Miller's obituary states he left high school at 17 and joined the U.S.Navy.
Alan Miller was trained in experimental and clinical psychology and practiced as a psychotherapist. The 18 units earned from his military GED towards his first academic career were used at Los Angeles City College, where he studied accounting for two years. He later changed his graduate to General Psychology, earning master's degrees in experimental psychology and medical education and Counseling. He was a member of a Freudian clinic in Southern California. He spent almost a year studying hypnosis at the Hypnosis Motivation Institute in Los Angeles and also studied hypnosis at the University of California, Irvine. Miller possessed Ph.D.s in both clinical psychology and human behavior and was a Postdoctoral researcher in Criminal Justice. Some of his techniques blended Reichian physiotherapy and tantric yoga. He also incorporated hypnosis alongside his bodywork with patients and students. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Alan R. Miller's research was published in various peer-reviewed articles and professional journals.
According to the Original Falcon Press website: "He fled academia and state sponsored psychology to become an explorer of the human mind."
Miller's interest in the occult began in his early twenties. His desire to further pursue his studies in magick resulted in meeting Israel Regardie in Studio City in the 1970s. Regardie introduced Miller to Reichian therapy, which he insisted Miller learn prior to any magical pursuits. Regardie further instructed Miller in the magical system of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. In 1987 Lon Milo DuQuette, an occultist who would eventually become O.T.O.'s United States Deputy Grand Master, initiated Hyatt into the Newport Beach lodge of the Ordo Templi Orientis, with Hyatt eventually becoming a Ninth Degree member of the occult Order. Hyatt later co-founded (with David Cherubim) the Thelemic Order of the Golden Dawn in Los Angeles on the Vernal Equinox of 1990.
New Falcon Press
- Sex Magic, Tantra & Tarot: The Way of the Secret Lover, with Lon Milo Duquette. (1991). New Falcon Publications; 2nd edition. ISBN 978-1561840441
- Energized Hypnosis: A Non-Book for Self Change, with Calvin Iwema. (2005). New Falcon Publications. ISBN 978-1561841936
- Aleister Crowley's Illustrated Goetia: Sexual Evocation, with Lon Milo DuQuette and David P. Wilson. (2005). New Falcon Publications.ISBN 978-1561840489
- A Modern Shaman's Guide to a Pregnant Universe, with Antero Alli. (2008). The Original Falcon Press; UK edition. ISBN 1935150219
- Taboo: Sex, Religion & Magick, with Lon Milo DuQuette. (2008). The Original Falcon Press. ISBN 978-1935150282
- Secrets of Western Tantra: The Sexuality of the Middle Path. (2009). New Falcon Publications; 3rd edition. ISBN 1561841137
- Undoing Yourself with Energized Meditation and Other Devices. (2010). New Falcon Publications; 5th revised edition. ISBN 1561840572
- Pacts with the Devil: A Chronicle of Sex, Blasphemy & Liberation, with S. Jason Black. (2010). The Original Falcon Press. ISBN 193515026X
- The Psychopath's Notebook, with S. Jason Black. (2008). New Falcon Publications. ISBN 978-1935150442
- The Psychopath's Bible: For the Extreme Individual, edited by Nicholas Tharcher (2011). The Original Falcon Press; 2nd edition. ISBN 1935150324
- Urban Voodoo: A Beginners Guide to Afro-Caribbean Magic, with S. Jason Black. (2011). New Falcon Publications; 1st edition. ISBN 1561840599
- The Big Black Book: Become Who You Are, with S. Jason Black, Joseph Matheny, Nicholas Archer et al. (2020). The Original Falcon Press. ISBN 978-1935150770
- Lucifer's Rebellion: A Tribute to Christopher S. Hyatt, edited with a foreword by Shelley Marmor. (2011). New Falcon Publications. ISBN 1561840319
Notes and references
- Tharcher, Nick. "About the Original Falcon Press". originalfalcon.com. Retrieved 6 January 2021.
- "New Falcon Publications". www.bookdepository.com. Retrieved 25 January 2021.
- Hyatt, Christopher; Zehm Aloim. The Magic of Israel Regardie. New Falcon Publishing. ISBN 1-56184-230-3.
- Hymenaeus Beta (2008-02-12). "Alan Ronald Miller, Ph.D., IX° O.T.O. (1943-2008)". Ordo Tempi Orientis International Headquarters. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- Hyatt, Christopher; S. Jason Black; Zehm Aloim; Israel Regardie. Techniques for Undoing Yourself. New Falcon Publishing. ISBN 1-56184-280-X.
- "Sage Journals: Alan R. Miller". www.journals.sagepub.com. Retrieved 25 January 2021.
- "L.A.Times Obituary: Alan R. Miller, PHD". L.A.Times. Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- DuQuette, Lon Milo (1 February 2020). Allow Me to Introduce: An Insiders Guide to the Occult. scribd.com: Red Wheel Weiser. p. 14. ISBN 9781633411128. Retrieved 24 January 2021.
- Greer, John Michael (2003). The New Encyclopedia of the Occult. Llewellyn Worldwide. p. 205. ISBN 978-1-56718-336-8.
Several of these new Golden Dawn orders were created by friends and students of Regardie in the United States.... [A]nother emerged in Arizona under the leadership of Christopher Hyatt.
- Alli, Antero (2009). The Eight Circuit Brain. The Original Falcon Press. p. 215. ISBN 978-1-935150-60-2. Retrieved 25 January 2021.
"Dr.Hyatt and I re-typeset Angel Tech every day for two weeks in his Sedona, Arizona home, which doubled as Falcon Press headquarters.",
- Tharcher, Nick. "The Original Falcon Press". www.originalfalcon.com. Retrieved 25 January 2021.