Christopher Llewellyn Smith
Sir Christopher Llewellyn Smith FRS
Sir Christopher Llewellyn Smith during his term of office as Director General of CERN in 1996
University College, London
|Preceded by||Sir Derek Roberts|
|Succeeded by||Sir Derek Roberts|
|Born||19 November 1942|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford|
Sir Christopher Llewellyn Smith FRS (born 19 November 1942) completed his D.Phil. in theoretical physics at New College, Oxford in 1967. Thereafter he worked at the Lebedev Physical Institute in Moscow, CERN and then the SLAC before returning to Oxford in 1974. Llewellyn Smith was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1984.
While Chairman of Oxford Physics (1987–92) he led the merger of five different departments into a single Physics Department. Smith was Director General of CERN from 1994 through 1998. Thereafter he served as Provost and President of University College London (1999–2002).
Llewellyn Smith received the James Clerk Maxwell Medal and Prize in 1979, and Glazebrook Medal and Prize of the Institute of Physics in 1999 and was knighted in 2001. In 2004, he became Chairman of the Consultative Committee for Euratom on Fusion (CCE-FU). Until 2009 he was Director of UKAEA Culham Division, which holds the responsibility for the United Kingdom's fusion programme and operation of the Joint European Torus (JET). He is a member of the Advisory Council for the Campaign for Science and Engineering. In 2013, he joined the National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Bhubaneswar, India as a Distinguished Professor. In 2015, he was awarded the Royal Medal of the Royal Society.
- "Inside story: Llewellyn Smith, world scientist". CERN Courier. January 2013.
- "Faces and places: Chris Llewellyn Smith". CERN Courier. January 1999.
- "Advisory Council of the Campaign for Science and Engineering". Archived from the original on 28 August 2010. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Royal Medal". Royal Society. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- Fusion UK: Professor Sir Christopher Llewellyn Smith biography
- Chris Llewellyn Smith's webpage
- Scientific publications of Christopher Llewellyn Smith on INSPIRE-HEP
| Director General of CERN
1994 – 1998
| Provost of University College, London
1999 – 2002
|This article about a physicist of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|