Christopher Martin (entertainer)
Christopher Martin (right) at the 2010 Tribeca Film Festival.
|Also known as||Play|
|Born||July 10, 1962|
|Origin||Queens, New York, U.S.|
|Associated acts||Kid 'n Play, House Party, Salt-N-Pepa, Pete Rock, Hurby "Luv Bug" Azor|
Martin's stage name, Play, is derived from his original MC name, Playboy, which he began using while in a music group, Quicksilver and the Super Lovers, which featured producer Hurby Luv Bug. While performing with this group, Martin met Christopher Reid, who performed as Kid Coolout in the group The Turnout Brothers. When their respective groups dissolved, Martin and Reid decided to perform as a duo. By shortening their nicknames, it would lead to the start of the group Kid 'n Play which featured the pair rapping and dancing together.
After the duo split in 1995, Play became a born-again Christian and focused on Christian hip hop. He is the founder and CEO of HP4 Digital, a pre- and post-production multimedia company for film, digital media, and theater.
Play was married to actress/model Shari Headley from May 1993 until they divorced in June 1995. In April 1994, Headley gave birth to their son, Skyler Martin.
With Kid 'n Play
- House Party (1990) - Peter "Play" Martin
- House Party 2 (1991) - Peter "Play" Martin
- Class Act (1992) Michael Charles "Blade" Brown
- House Party 3 (1994) - Peter "Play" Martin
- Rising to the Top (1999)
- Welcome to Durham, USA (2007)
- House Party: Tonight's the Night (2013) - Peter "Play" Martin (cameo)
- Martin, Christopher "Play" (July 10, 2004). "Play: Hip-Hop Icon (interview)". halftimeonline.net. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- "The Return - Official Trailer (2010)". YouTube.com.
- "The Return". lptfilms.com. LPT Productions. Archived from the original on 2011-07-13.
- "Boston's Own Debbie And Friends Among The 8th Annual Independent Music Awards Vox Populi Winners". PRLog.org (Press release). May 27, 2009. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- "8th Annual IMA Judges". Independent Music Awards. Archived from the original on April 12, 2009.
- HB Studio Alumni