Christopher Karl Mellon
Christopher Karl Mellon
October 2, 1957
|Education||Colby College, Yale University|
|Occupation||Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense, Staff Director of the Senate Intelligence Committee|
|Organization||Department of Defense, United States Senate|
|Relatives||Judge Thomas Mellon, Andrew Mellon, Matthew Mellon, Richard Mellon Scaife, Paul Mellon|
|Awards||The Secretary of Defense Meritorious Public Service Award,|
The Secretary of Defense Outstanding Public Service Award,
The National Reconnaissance Office Gold Medal,
The Defense Intelligence Agency Director’s Medal,
The National Imagery and Mapping Agency Medallion for Excellence
Christopher Karl Mellon (born October 2, 1957), is a former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Intelligence in the Clinton and George W. Bush administrations and later for Security and Information Operations. He formerly served as the Staff Director of the United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.
Christopher Mellon was born to the Mellon family. He is the son of Karl Negley Mellon and Anne Stokes Bright, and the great-grandson of Gulf Oil co-founder William Larimer Mellon. His great-great-grandfather, Thomas Mellon, founded Mellon Bank of Pittsburgh. He received a B.A. in economics from Colby College in 1980 and a master's degree from Yale University in international relations, with a concentration in finance and management, in 1984.
Mellon served for 12 years in a variety of positions on Capitol Hill, including nearly 10 years as a professional staff member as a Staff Director of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. He was the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Intelligence from November 1999 until Jan 2002. From June 1998 through November 1999, Mellon served as the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Security and Information Operations. In that capacity, he was responsible for policy and programmatic oversight of information assurance, critical infrastructure protection, security, counterintelligence, and information operations strategy and integration. Mellon went to the Pentagon as a member of William Cohen's transition team on January 2, 1997. Following the transition, Mellon was appointed as the Coordinator for Advanced Concepts and Program Integration, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, concentrating on encryption and information assurance issues. From November 1997 to June 1998, he served as the Special Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Intelligence Policy, providing advice on a range of intelligence issues. Before entering the private sector, Mellon returned to Capitol Hill, where he served as the Minority Staff Director of the Senate Intelligence Committee for Senator John D. Rockefeller, IV from 2002 to 2004.
Mellon worked with Leslie Kean in a UFO organization and is a private equity investor, shareholder and former advisor for the former Blink 182 punk rocker Tom DeLonge's To The Stars Academy of Arts & Sciences. According to the company’s website, Mellon's title was "national security affairs advisor". Mellon assisted in production and works with former Pentagon Director of AATIP, Luis Elizondo as a cast member for the cable television network History that distributes the shows series Unidentified: Inside America's UFO Investigation.
Mellon was featured in the 2020 UFO documentary The Phenomenon, directed by longtime UFO enthusiast James Fox. In the documentary Mellon stated that he was the source who provided the three infamous Pentagon UFO videos which made the "lavish front-page Sunday spread" of the New York Times on December 17, 2017: "Glowing Auras and ‘Black Money’: The Pentagon’s Mysterious UFO Program". In the documentary, Mellon claims he met with an unnamed individual in the parking lot of the Pentagon and was handed a package containing three videos recorded by U. S. Navy pilots between 2004 and 2015.
- "United States Public Records".
- "Mellons* in Pittsburgh," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Fitzpatrick, Dan, "Mellon family's legacy lives on," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- "Christopher Mellon". Archived from the original on 14 November 2004. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- Mellon, Christopher (March 9, 2018). "The military keeps encountering UFOs. Why doesn't the Pentagon care? - We have no idea what's behind these weird incidents because we're not investigating". The Washington Post. Retrieved March 14, 2018.
- "To The Stars Academy". To the Stars. October 10, 2017. Retrieved March 14, 2018.
- Keith Kloor: The Media Loves This UFO Expert Who Says He Worked for an Obscure Pentagon Program. Did He?, The Intercept, 1 June 2019
- Horton, Adrian (2020-10-07). "'It's not a question of belief': the film examining government UFO records". The Guardian. Retrieved 2021-05-07.
- Glowing Auras and ‘Black Money’: The Pentagon’s Mysterious U.F.O. Program
- Banias, MJ (October 20, 2020). "Ex Intel Official Says He Was the Source of the Pentagon's UFO Videos". www.vice.com. Retrieved 2021-05-07.
- "The Joe Rogan Experience #1645 - Christopher Mellon". Spotify. May 5, 2021.