Christopher Middleton (poet)
|Born||10 June 1926 |
|Died||29 November 2015 (aged 89)|
He was born John Christopher Middleton in Truro, Cornwall, in 1926. Following four years' service in the Royal Air Force, he studied at Merton College, Oxford, matriculating in 1948. He then held academic positions at the University of Zürich and King's College London. In 1966 he took up a position as Professor of Germanic Languages & Literature at the University of Texas, Austin, retiring in 1998. Middleton has published translations of Robert Walser, Nietzsche, Hölderlin, Goethe, Gert Hofmann and many others. He has received various awards, including the Geoffrey Faber Memorial Prize and the Schlegel-Tieck Prize for translation.
- The Pigeons and the Girls (unknown)
- Poems (1944)
- Nocturne in Eden (1945)
- The Vision of a Drowned Man (1949)
- Torse 3 (1962)
- Nonsequences (1965)
- Our Flowers & Nice Bones (1969)
- The Fossil Fish (1970)
- Briefcase History (1972)
- The Lonely Suppers of W. V. Balloon (1975)
- Pataxanadu and Other Prose (1977)
- Céleste, Orange Export Ltd., collection Chutes (1977)
- Bolshevism in Art and Other Expository Writings (1978) essays
- Carminalenia (1980)
- The Pursuit of the Kingfisher (Carcanet Press, 1983) essays
- 111 Poems (Carcanet Press, 1983)
- Serpentine (1984)
- Two Horse Wagon going by (Carcanet Press, 1986)
- Selected Writings (Carcanet Press, 1989)
- The Balcony Tree (Carcanet Press, 1992)
- On a Photograph of Chekhov (1995)
- Intimate Chronicles (Carcanet Press, 1996)
- The Swallow Diver (1997)
- Jackdaw Jiving (Carcanet Press, 1998)
- The Redbird Hexagon (1999)
- Faint Harps and Silver Voices: Selected Translations (Carcanet Press, 2000)
- Twenty Tropes for Doctor Dark (2000)
- The Word Pavilion and Selected Poems (Carcanet Press, 2001)
- The Anti-Basilisk (Carcanet Press, 2005)
- Collected Poems (Carcanet Press, 2008)
- Collected Later Poems (Carcanet Press, 2014)
- Selected Stories by Robert Walser (Carcanet Press, 1988)
- The Spectacle at the Tower by Gert Hofmann (Carcanet Press, 1988)
- Our Conquest by Gert Hofmann (Carcanet Press, 1988)
- The Parable of the Blind by Gert Hofmann (Fromm International, 1989)
- "Christopher Middleton, poet - obituary". telegraph.co.uk. The Daily Telegraph. 18 December 2015. Retrieved 19 December 2015.
- "Christopher Middleton". The Poetry Archive. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- Levens, R.G.C., ed. (1964). Merton College Register 1900-1964. Oxford: Basil Blackwell. p. 392.
- "Christopher Middleton". Poetry Foundation. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "The Schlegel-Tieck Prize for German Translation: Past Winners". The Society of Authors. Archived from the original on 10 May 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Christopher Middleton: Poet celebrated for his urgent and vivid verse and his translations, especially from German
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a poet from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|