Christopher Norris (critic)
Norris completed his PhD in English at University College London in 1975. After an early career in literary and music criticism (during the late 1970s, he wrote for the now-defunct magazine Records and Recording), Norris moved in 1991 to the Cardiff Philosophy Department. In 1997, he was awarded the title of Distinguished Research Professor in the Cardiff School of English, Communication & Philosophy. He has also held fellowships and visiting appointments at a number of institutions, including the University of California, Berkeley, the City University of New York, Aarhus University, and Dartmouth College.
He is one of the world's leading scholars on deconstruction, and the work of Jacques Derrida. He has written numerous books and papers on literary theory, continental philosophy, philosophy of music, philosophy of language and philosophy of science. More recently, he has been focussing on the work of Alain Badiou in relation with both the analytic tradition (particularly analytic philosophy of mathematics) and with the philosophy of Derrida. Norris has been criticised by philosopher Roger Scruton for accepting Derrida's thesis of logocentrism "with a dogmatic conviction that closes the door to argument".
- Theory and Practice
- Against Relativism
- New Idols of the Cave
- Uncritical Theory
- The Contest of Faculties: Philosophy and Theory After Deconstruction
- Derrida (Fontana Modern Masters)
- What's Wrong with Postmodernism
- Deconstruction: Theory and Practice
- Quantum Theory and the Flight from Realism: Philosophical Responses to Quantum Mechanics
- Minding the Gap: Epistemology and Philosophy of Science in the Two Traditions
- Truth Matters: Realism, Anti-realism and Response-dependence
- Spinoza and the Origins of Modern Critical Theory
- Resources of Realism: Truth, Meaning, and Interpretation
- Inside the Myth: Orwell, Views from the Left (Ed)
- Badiou's Being and Event
- Re-thinking the Cogito. Naturalism, Rationalism and the Venture of Thought
- Derrida, Badiou, and the Formal Imperative
- "Christopher (Charles) Norris" (2002). Contemporary Authors Online. Gale. Retrieved on January 19, 2007.
- Scruton, Roger (1994). Upon Nothing. Philosophical Investigations 17 (3):481-506.