Chris Perkins (game designer)
Under the pen name "Christopher Zarathustra", Christopher Perkins got his start in 1988 as a teenager, writing the adventure "Wards of Witching Ways" for Dungeon magazine #11. Perkins joined Wizards of the Coast in 1997 as the editor of Dungeon magazine. He became the editor in chief of Wizards periodicals. He later became the senior producer for the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game, leading the team of designers, developers, and editors who produce D&D RPG products. Perkins was the story manager for D&D in 2007 before the release of the game's 4th edition. Perkins was working on the Star Wars Saga Edition while D&D fourth edition was being developed, and ideas flowed freely back and forth between Perkins and the 4e team. Perkins was on the SCRAMJET team, led by Richard Baker, and including James Wyatt, Matthew Sernett, Ed Stark, Michele Carter, and Stacy Longstreet; this team updated the setting and cosmology of D&D as the fourth edition was being developed. He runs a D&D campaign set in his homegrown world of Iomandra.
He wrote a blog, "The Dungeon Master Experience" on the Wizards of the Coast website, for over two years, where he shared tricks and advice about the challenge of 'Dungeon Mastering' a campaign; specifically through the lens of his homebrew world, 'Iomandra'. However, in the penultimate posting of March 2013 Chris announced the following posting would be the last "at least for a while", whereupon the blog became inert.
Perkins guest starred on Geek and Sundry's Dungeons & Dragons-based show, Critical Role. Perkins was the Lead Designer of the Ravenloft 5E reboot Curse of Strahd, released in 2016. Since 2016, he has been the Dungeon Master in the Twitch livestream Dice, Camera, Action which is a live play-through of D&D's latest storylines.
- "Happy Birthday to Dungeon Master Chris Perkins - Dungeons & Dragons". dnd.wizards.com.
- "Christopher Perkins on Twitter".
- Baichtal, John (2008-03-05). "Chris Perkins Answers D&D 4E Questions | GeekDad | Wired.com". Archive.wired.com. Retrieved 2015-10-22.
- "Christopher Perkins D&D Creative Manager". Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- "The Magic Touch". Archived from the original on May 3, 2014. Retrieved April 19, 2013.
- Villoria, Gerald (September 10, 2007). "Dungeons & Dragons: The 4th Edition Interview". Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- Shannon Appelcline (2011). Designers & Dragons. Mongoose Publishing. p. 298. ISBN 978-1-907702-58-7.
- "News - Acquisitions Inc". Penny Arcade. 2011-08-01. Retrieved 2015-10-22.
- "Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Archive". Archive.wizards.com. Archived from the original on 2014-10-12. Retrieved 2015-10-22.
- Perkins, Chris (2013-03-14). "Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Until the Next Encounter)". Archive.wizards.com. Archived from the original on October 12, 2014. Retrieved 2015-10-22.
- "Vox Machina heads up Gatshadow Mountain for their final confrontation with the Dragon Umbrasyl. With special guest star Chris Perkins!". Geek & Sundry. 2016-06-06. Retrieved 2016-06-15.
- "Chris Perkins and Tracy Hickman on Curse of Strahd | Dungeons & Dragons". dnd.wizards.com. Retrieved 2017-09-22.
- "Dice, Camera, Action | Dungeons & Dragons". dnd.wizards.com. Retrieved 2017-09-22.