This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Christopher Phelps (born 1965) is an American political and intellectual historian of the twentieth century. The subjects of his research and writing include philosophical pragmatism, concepts of class and labor in social thought, the fate of the American Left and the socialist ideal, and ideas of race in American and African American history. Phelps teaches in the School of American and Canadian Studies at the University of Nottingham in England, having previously taught history at the Ohio State University, the University of Oregon, and Simon Fraser University in Canada. He has received the Fulbright Award twice, to teach philosophy at the University of Pécs in Hungary in 2000 and American Studies at the University of Łódź in Poland in 2004-2005.
- Young Sidney Hook: Marxist and Pragmatist, Cornell University Press, 1997; 2d ed., University of Michigan Press, 2005.
- Radicals in America: The US Left Since the Second World War, Cambridge University Press, 2015.
Edited or introduced
- The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair, Bedford/St. Martin's, 2005.
- Race and Revolution, by Max Shachtman, Verso, 2003.
- Towards the Understanding of Karl Marx, by Sidney Hook, Prometheus, 2002.
- From Hegel to Marx, by Sidney Hook, Columbia University Press, 1994.
- "Dream Sequences: Marching on Washington Fifty Years On," Dissent Online, 2013
- "Howard Zinn, Philosopher," The Chronicle of Higher Education, 2010
- "American Idle," The Nation, 2010
- "Chicago factory sit-in fits national mood," CNN.com, with Nelson Lichtenstein, 2008
- "The Prophet Reconsidered," The Chronicle of Higher Education, 2008
- "Diamonds in the Rough," InsideHigherEd.com, 2007
- "The New SDS," The Nation, 2007
- "A Neglected Document on Socialism and Sex," Journal of the History of Sexuality, 2007
- "The Fictitious Suppression of Upton Sinclair's The Jungle," History News Network, 2006
- "The Lowering of Higher Education," InsideHigherEd.com, 2005
- "Fulbright of the Mind," The Chronicle of Higher Education, 2005
- "The Rediscovered Brilliance of Hubert Harrison," Science & Society, 2004
- "A Socialist Magazine in the American Century," Monthly Review, 1999
- "Bourne Yet Again," on the legacy of Randolph Bourne, New Politics, 1998
- "Christopher Phelps - The University of Nottingham". Nottingham.ac.uk. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Phelps, Christopher", in Contemporary Authors Online, Thomson Gale, 2006