Christopher Potter (author)
Potter in Scotland
|Born||1 April 1959|
|Occupation||Writer, publisher, editor|
Life and career
He was an editor for 6 years at Sphere Books before joining the independent publishing house Fourth Estate, where he ultimately became publisher and managing director. The company was celebrated for discovering so-called "sleepers" and transforming them into bestsellers.
At Fourth Estate he worked closely with many writers, including Carol Shields, Annie Proulx, Michael Cunningham and Michael Chabon (all of whom won the Pulitzer Prize for novels published by Fourth Estate), Dava Sobel, Hilary Mantel, Matt Ridley, Simon Singh, Salley Vickers, Ann Patchett, James Gleick, Kate Summerscale, Kathryn Harrison, Kate Jennings, Gilbert Adair, Maureen Duffy, Paul Hoffman, Paul Bailey, Deborah Cadbury, Mark Merlis, Rupert Shelldrake, Amanda Craig and Rachel Cusk."
His first book You Are Here was published in 2009 by Hutchinson (Random House) in the UK and HarperCollins in America. It was translated into 15 languages. "One of the best popular science books I have ever read," wrote Stuart Jeffries in the Guardian. The Sunday Times described it as "One of the most entertaining and thoughtful pop-science books to be published for years."
His second book How to Make a Human Being was published in 2014 by Fourth Estate. "A sort of commonplace book full of paradox and conflicting ideas, shocking facts and redemptive anecdotes, turbulent with two or three millennia of human thought," wrote the Guardian.
His third book The Earth Gazers  was published in 2018 by Head of Zeus in the UK and Pegasus in America. The Times described it as "A fresh and elegantly wrought account of mankind’s journey from firing lumps of jerry-rigged metal from cabbage fields to crunching around in the dust of another world."
- "Christopher Potter returns to lead Europa Editions' London base". Europa Editions UK. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- The Guardian 
- "Christopher Potter returns to lead Europa Editions' London base | The Bookseller". www.thebookseller.com. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- Potter, Christopher (2009). You are Here: A Portable History of the Universe. Hutchinson. ISBN 9780091796884.
- Stuart Jeffries, "Master of the universe", The Guardian, 13 March 2009
- Times Online (subscription required)
- Potter, Christopher (27 March 2014). How to Make a Human Being: A Body of Evidence. HarperCollins Publishers. ISBN 9780007447800.
- Francis, Gavin (18 April 2014). "How to Make a Human Being: A Body of Evidence by Christopher Potter – review". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- Potter, Christopher (7 September 2017). The Earth Gazers. Head of Zeus. ISBN 9781784974244.
- Moody, Oliver (26 August 2017). "Review: The Earth Gazers by Christopher Potter". The Times. ISSN 0140-0460. Retrieved 22 May 2019.