Christopher Price (politician)
Price was educated at Leeds Grammar School and The Queen's College, Oxford where he was secretary of the Labour Club in 1953. He initially pursued a teaching career and by 1962 was Senior Classics Master at Ecclesfield Grammar School when he was elected as a councillor to the Sheffield City Council. He became deputy chairman of the education committee from 1963 (Albert Ballard was the chairman) and was instrumental in Sheffield's decision, fully implemented by 1969, in favour of comprehensive education.
Price contested Shipley in 1964. He was Member of Parliament for Birmingham Perry Barr from 1966 to 1970, and for Lewisham West from February 1974 to 1983, when he lost to the Conservative John Maples. In the House of Commons he served as Chairman of the Education Select Committee.
Price was also a Member of the European Parliament from 1977 to 1978.
After leaving parliament, Price was Director of Leeds Polytechnic - later becoming Vice-Chancellor of the polytechnic's successor body, Leeds Metropolitan University. He was a founder member of the British Committee for the Reunification of the Parthenon Marbles.
Price married Annie Grierson Ross, a nurse, in 1956. They had three children; one daughter and two sons.
- Cornwell, John (2005). King Ted's. King Edward VII School, Sheffield. ISBN 0-9526484-1-5
- "Christopher Price, Labour MP - obituary". The Daily Telegraph. 24 February 2015.
- "Oral history: PRICE, Christopher (1932-2015)". The History of Parliament. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- "Sir Christopher Price interviewed by Emmeline Ledgerwood". British Library Sound Archive. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- Tam Dalyell (24 February 2015). "Christopher Price: Energetic MP who despite his combative nature was liked and admired both by colleagues and opponents". The Independent.
- "Christopher Price: Energetic MP who despite his combative nature was". The Independent. 24 February 2015. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- Times Guide to the House of Commons, 1966 and 1983
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Christopher Price
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Birmingham Perry Barr
| Member of Parliament for Lewisham West