|Born||7 March 1942|
Christopher Seaman (born 7 March 1942, Faversham) is a British conductor, the son of Albert Edward Seaman and Ethel Margery Seaman. He was educated at Canterbury Cathedral Choir School and The King's School, Canterbury, and later studied at King's College, Cambridge. From 1964 to 1968, he was principal timpanist with the London Philharmonic Orchestra, before his appointment from 1968 to 1970 as assistant conductor with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra (BBC SSO). He later served as the BBC SSO's principal conductor, from 1971 to 1977. Seaman has also held the post of Principal Guest Conductor and Artistic Advisor to the conducting course at the Guildhall School of Music. He also had a long association with the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain.
In the US, Seaman was resident conductor of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra from 1987 to 1998. From 1993 to 2004, he was music director of the Naples Philharmonic Orchestra, in Naples, Florida. In 1998, Seaman became music director of the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra, continuing through 2011 and becoming that orchestra's longest-tenured conductor. In October 2009, the orchestra announced the conclusion of Seaman's tenure as director with the 2010-2011 season, and his lifetime appointment as the RPO's Conductor Laureate. Seaman has conducted recordings with the Rochester Philharmonic for the harmonia mundi label. Seaman is also currently the Artistic Advisor to the San Antonio Symphony Orchestra, through the 2009-2010 season.
His book Inside Conducting was published in 2013.
- International Who's Who in Classical Music 2009. Routledge Taylor & Francis Group (2009), p. 742 (ISBN 978-1-85743-513-9)
- "Appointments, Awards" (October 1968). The Musical Times, 109 (1508): p. 906.
- "Appointments, Awards, Conferences and Courses" (1989). The Musical Times, 130 (1759): p. 539.
- "RPO Conductors Seaman and Tyzik Renew Contracts" (Press release). Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra. 9 July 2007. Retrieved 2009-02-04.
- "Christopher Seaman Announces 2010-2011 Season Will Conclude His Tenure as Music Director" (Press release). Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra. 16 October 2009. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Jed Distler (October 2003). "A Tale of Two Tchaikovsky Concertos". andante.com (overall site now defunct). Retrieved 2009-02-04.
- Seaman, Christopher ; illustrations by Michael Richards (2013). Inside Conducting (1. publ. ed.). Rochester, New York: University of Rochester Press. ISBN 9781580464116.
- HarrisonParrott agency biography of Christopher Seaman
- Languages of signs ABC Radio National - The Body Sphere
- Rochester Philharmonic biography of Christoper Seaman
- San Antonio Symphony conductors page
| Chief Conductor, BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Karl Anton Rickenbacher
| Principal Conductor, Northern Sinfonia
Tamás Vásáry and Iván Fischer
|This article on a British conductor or bandleader is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|